UltravioletPhotography

Vivitar 285HV Flash UV Test

Cadmium

☠ WARNING!!! Modification of this flash can be LETHAL!!! ☠

The capacitor in this flash can actually kill you. So watch the video first, and proceed at your own risk.

Here is my first UV test with the Vivitar 285HV flash using the Sparticle band pass filter array, Baader U on lens.

As you can see, the flash is not much good for UV without modification.

post-87-0-52056200-1480400383.jpg

More to come...

☠ WARNING!!! Modification of this flash can be LETHAL!!! ☠

The capacitor in this flash can actually kill you. So watch the video first, and proceed at your own risk.

PLEASE, before you attempt to 'dive into' this flash with your screwdriver, PLEASE PLEASE go watch this video first (above), several times before you attempt to start taking this flash apart.

This video will show you how to take the flash apart and remove the flash tube Fresnel, to mod it for UV.

Here are my tests, before and after the removal of the Vivitar 285HV flash plastic Fresnel lenses.

post-87-0-03541600-1480546385.jpg

Here are transmission tests of the two Vivitar 285HV Fresnel lenses.

NOTE: The front Wide Angle Fresnel lens transmits UV rather well, and doesn't seem to attenuate UV, so it can be left in place if wanted.

post-87-0-32221900-1480416097.jpg

post-87-0-79181300-1480412987.jpg

This video will show you how to take the flash apart and remove the flash tube Fresnel, to mod it for UV.

There is no need to take the flash apart. That is how I used to do it years ago until one day I picked up a dremel type tool and just carefully cut the Fresnel window away. So much easier.

I should also point out that some of the Vivitars use a UV transparent front filter.

Yes, that is what I said about the one I show above.

Isn't that what I show in the tests above, "a UV transparent front filter"? No?

That is the most transparent plastic filter I have seen, other than the UVT plastic.

There is no need to take the flash apart. That is how I used to do it years ago until one day I picked up a dremel type tool and just carefully cut the Fresnel window away. So much easier.

Yes, you can take the front Fresnel filter/lens off, and cut the flash tube Fresnel out, it might depend on how you want to mount a replacement clear filter.

One of the videos about converting this flash for UV uses a CD case for the replacement filter. In this video the flash tube Fresnel is removed and a replacement is installed inside, which requires disassembling the flash.

After testing the CD plastic, personally I would not choose to use that kind of plastic as the replacement filter,

because it does have some UV color and attenuation to it.

After testing the CD plastic, personally I would not choose to use that kind of plastic as the replacement filter, because it does have some UV color and attenuation to it.

Yeah, and doesn't plastic usually break down under UV exposure also? A flash is quite intense!

Andy, Good question, I don't know about the CD plastic. I am fairly sure that the UVT plastic would withstand the UV. They use that for tanning booths where it gets long exposure to UV.

Google says UVT is transparent to 290nm, so it will depend how much UVB/UVC the flash is putting out. The tanning booth comparison may or may not be apt, because they could be using sources that don't put out much UVB/UVC in the first place.

(Of course, you could always replace it if it starts yellowing.)

Yes, that is what I said about the one I show above.

Isn't that what I show in the tests above, "a UV transparent front filter"? No?

That is the most transparent plastic filter I have seen, other than the UVT plastic.

So you did. A hectic lifestyle at the moment did not allow me the time to fully read your post, just caught the video about dismantling.

Google says UVT is transparent to 290nm, so it will depend how much UVB/UVC the flash is putting out. The tanning booth comparison may or may not be apt, because they could be using sources that don't put out much UVB/UVC in the first place.

(Of course, you could always replace it if it starts yellowing.)

You could use the N-WG280 longpass filter glass, but I don't know how people feel about a glass barrier as apposed to a plastic barrier, as far as safety.

I would think that either would work fine. The UVT is easier for most people to fabricate, and less expensive.

That video is very nicely done. And it's good that the guy shows how to discharge the Capacitor.

Steve, thank you for putting up such a good warning! :D