UltravioletPhotography

Pokeweed Berries in IR

Following Member Andy's suggestion to try IR imaging of these berries, I embarked on the Great Pokeweed Expedition of 2016, trekked over to the local cow pasture and successfully gathered a few berries. As mentioned elsewhere, it did result in temporarily stained fingers and forehead, but that soon wore off.

The translucency of the Pokeberry case in IR is quite interesting. I opted for a click-white conversion of the IR false colours and saw the seeds inside the case become a pretty false blue.

Camera & Lens: D600-broadband + Coastal Optics 60/4.0

Infrared: f/11 for 1/5" @ ISO-100 with B+W 092 IR-Pass Filter and On-board Flash

pokeweedBerries_092IR_flash_20161021wf_55031pnV57.jpg

Infrared: f/22 for 1.6" @ ISO-100 with B+W 092 IR-Pass Filter and Incandescent Desk Lamp

pokeweedBerries_092IR_incanLamp_20161021wf_55065pn.jpg

Visible: f/16 for 2" @ ISO-with Baader UV/IR-Cut and Incandescent Desk Lamp

pokeweedBerries_vis_incanLamp_20161021wf_55081pn.jpg

Yay! They are awesome, Andrea. I knew you'd do something nice with them. Pokeweed is far from the only berry that goes IR-translucent in autumn. I have also had success with chokeweed berries (they grow on a tree) and even some of the nightshades.
@Andy: I can't seem to find anything on 'chokeweed', specifically. It seems to be a general term for any weed that chokes what it is growing on. Were you referring to some specific kind of chokeweed? Perhaps something local to where you live?