UltravioletPhotography

North sea and polder

Herman1705

Where I live is a few meters below sea level and the land is protected from the sea and rivers by dikes. On top of these dikes there is a nice view over the polders and sea. Today was a good day to take the bicycle, ride to the North sea and catch the UV. The images were taken with a full spectrum Sony A500, ENNA München Lithagon 35mm 1:3.5, stacked U340 and BG40 (the filters as what they are sold for), ISO 200 and 5 seconds exposure time. The camera wb is set to 2550K. In LR two camera calibrations were used: one created with X-Rite colorchecker, one to 'cool down' the image (wb set from 2550K to 7150K). Adjustments for colour, clarity, hue and saturation were made in LR too. The wb is finally adjusted to about 2300K by sampling on something white.

Image after processing in LR:

post-132-0-67152000-1476645744.jpg

conversion in Silver Efex Pro, high structure

post-132-0-83129100-1476645745.jpg

Image after processing in LR:

post-132-0-40471600-1476645708.jpg

conversion in Silver Efex Pro, high structure

post-132-0-59872500-1476645709.jpg

I like your UV landscape photos. This kind of photo always reminds me of very old photos, probably because of the UV sensitivity of the silver halide films used back then which yield understandably similar results.
Nicely done, Herman. I do like the high structure look made with the Silver Efex Pro. It works well.

The depth of sight almost to the horizon is not very common in UV landscape photography. Perhaps the proximity to seashore and constant wind draft from the marine environment literally clear the air?

The b/w conversions are very good, but on a second thought I might just prefer the pale coloured versions as they convey a lot of scenic mood.

Thanks for commenting.

We had a lot of rain before which clears the air a lot. The day these images were taken we had wind (4 Bft.) from the east, which is much drier than wind from the sea. At the horizon windmills can be seen in the VIS spectrum and in the IR spectrum, this UV horizon is more hazy.

The pale coloured images give me a 'desolate feeling'. The black and whites indeed look like very old photos although there is something odd; too sharp in the small details and the 'silvery' water.

Herman, I forgot to mention that I had to look up the term "polder". This led to an interesting session reading about dikes and polders. :D