UltravioletPhotography

UV-Induced-Something-or-Other

Andrea B.

You are going to laugh at me!! And I deserve it!! :D

I wanted to try to induce some IR fluorescence with UV illumination. And I might have actually done so. But I'm not sure.

I was surrounded by a jumble-pile of probably 39 filters of various types and totally lost track of things because the blanket over the cardboard box holding the flowers kept sliding off and knocking things over and then batteries would wear out and then I'd lose focus and then the flower would start to droop and so on and so on and it took FOREVER to get this one little photo. :P

I know I did have a BaaderU hand-held over a 365nm UV-LED torch and that was my only illumination in the dark. And I got this pretty luminescence from this little rudbeckia which was tucked into the petals of a big sunflower. The colour is totally false. The brightness is real. It could be high red or it could be near IR. Heaven help me who knows it could be blue. It could be green. Did I use a 665? Or was it the old stand by 092? Maybe it is even authentic way-up-there-IR with the 850?

Reorganize. Reshoot some other day while keeping Very Careful Shooting Notes. :rolleyes:

Rembrandtian Interpretation of Fluorescence

f/5.6 for 10" @ ISO-400

helianthusRudbeckiaCombo_uv365Illum_irPassLens_20160922wf_51372.jpg

I don 't know what to say. Since I have both of those flowers, i will try to duplicate that same scene tonight, using MTE with/without filter, and using 665nm and 850nm on the lens.

More later...

Thanks!

Steve, I promise I will be more careful next time and write down the filters I used !! I'm usually so good about that.

I really like how the abaxial side of the Rudbeckia rays light up. My UV-Led torches are rather small, so did not light up much of the sunflower when held so close.

I'm always the one saying "don't fall in love with your work" and keep a critical eye, but I really LOVE this photo. Even if I never figure out how I did it.

Yes, it is a nice photo. I didn't mean anything bad by "I don't know what to say", only that I didn't know what to say because I didn't know what filter it was.

Nice detail in the sunflower.

I have tested between using the Baader U and U-340 2mm on the torch, and there is no difference with any of the UVIIRF shots, 610nm to 850nm, so that isn't a factor. I have not tried the MTE without a filter, but probably no difference with UVIIRF.

I would expect some pattern on the flowers, or at least on one of them depending on the filter used.

I didn't get a chance to shoot a similar test last night.

It looks very different from what I have been getting, so I will go back and try these two flowers together.

Here is what I got.

Notice the pattern on the petals, and how the pattern is reversed between the sunflower and the Rudbeckia petals.

With some more open center Sunflowers I get some yellow in the center using this same light and filter, like with these:

http://www.ultraviol...dpost__p__13827

Below: MTE with U-340 2mm filter, RG695 filter on camera lens. ISO 200, f/8, Aperture Priority, 15s.

365nm UV induced 695nm IR LUM.

post-87-0-76168700-1474899079.jpg

oh nice one!!! me likes.

I didn't mean anything bad by "I don't know what to say", only that I didn't know what to say because I didn't know what filter it was.

oh I knew that. Not to worry.

Your lower right Rudbeckia looks bright like the one I got. I was not getting the patterning on the sunflower. BUT, I also was using a narrow beam illumination. I have to try again.

I have to go buy a new sunflower because the ones I was using are rather depleted at this point. :D They were part of Michael's get well flowers from a couple of weeks ago when he was in hospital.

We don't know how biological age may affect patterning and luminescence. Although I'm sure there is something out there in the scienfitic literature.

I learned here that depending on the Sunflower center, some show yellow and some don't. This one doesn't, Not sure why.

It may also have something to do with shooting both flowers together, but I don't think it would have enough to do to make the yellow completely go away.

What I did in this shot was I tried to white balance using the Rudbeckia, compared to my other Rudbeckia 365nm/695nm LUM shots.

So this Rudbeckia looks similar to my previous 365nm/695nmm shots, but it is a bit wilted, because it didn't have water, but I watered it today and already it looks all new again.

This one is still in a pot, I need to plant it, but I can't bring it in for LUM shots if I plant it, so I have been putting it off.

I am not sure what stage my Sunflowers are at, they are cut Sunflowers from a store, and I have had them for a while now...

I may test for the yellow center again tonight to find out how the different Sunflower centers differ.

I am using the same 'beam' you are I think. MTE torch. 301/303 doesn't matter which, and Baader U/U-340 2mm doesn't matter which.

You can get little step up rings that screw into the MTE and you can screw a 52mm (or whatever) into the step-up ring, makes it easy to attach any 52mm filter to the MTE. 37mmm-to-52mm I think they are.

Myself, I just leave the 37mm U-340 2mm filter in my MTE's all the time, replacing the clear glass 'lens' that comes with the MTE.

Not sure exactly what the MTE glass 'lens' is, or what its transmission is, but obviously it transmits 365nm well, so you can probably leave that in the MTE and just remove the front ring, and screw in the step-up ring.

Also, I use two MTE's at the same time, paint with two, both hands.

Yes, Get well soon Michael. :)

I can relate to all that Andrea. I have lost count of the times I've tried to do UVIVFL outdoors by draping black cloth over my usual little tent and never quite able to convince myself I had got rid of all the light leaks and then the cloth blows off in the wind or the flower moves anyway during my 10 second exposure etc ...

Dave

At the moment my internet connection appears to be made from wet string