UltravioletPhotography

One more night shot, and some sacred sites

OlDoinyo

The following are some images I obtained 2-3 weeks ago. The Sony A900 was used, all apertures were f/16, .and display intent is BGR.

The first image is a 10-minute night exposure of the Den-Den shopping district taken about 11 PM. A lot of the shops were already closed by then, but enough signage remained illuminated to make an image. The Steinheil Cassar-S was fitted with the Baader U2 filter. Exposure was for 10 minutes at ISO 800.

"Late Night in Den-Den:"

post-66-0-54760100-1474630145.jpg

There was some problem with flare, which I dealt with primarily by suppressing green. The radial ghosting of the Baader filter is well apparent with the stronger point light sources, The cyan light sources are fluorescent tubes, as before.

The next few frames were taken at the Heian-jingu shrine.The following used the Asahi 35mm lens with the Baader U2 filter.

"Heian-jingu Side Pavilion:"

post-66-0-69237400-1474630679.jpg

The sun was out and blazing hot, and that gravel in the courtyard was not absorbing much UV either, as you can see! I picked up a little bit of sun exposure here despite my hat. The white paint on the structure appears to be modern, judging by the color.

The rest of the frames in this post used the Tamron 21mm lens with rear-mounted UG11/S8612 filter. I did not have a custom white balance setting for this lens, and used the setting for the Steinheil lens, which has considerably wider bandpass. This can create some mean cast gradients which are very difficult to get rid of in post-processing, especially if one is dealing with shadow detail and bright sky detail in the same frame.

"Wishes and Prayers";

post-66-0-96636200-1474631619.jpg

This one gave me the most trouble, as the foreground was very underexposed. The original frame has a lot more sky detail, but there is so much magenta tint that it was necessary to sacrifice most of the detail to get rid of the tint. Some chromatic aberration is visible at the edges.

"The Guardian of Purity:"

post-66-0-80542200-1474632095.jpg

This one also gave me fits, and I was forced to leave more magenta in the sky than I would have wished. The shot fascinated me, and I made a number of attempts to get the framing as i wished.

The final frame was taken at a different site, called Kyomizudera.

"Kewashi michi wa satori e:"

post-66-0-17339600-1474632382.jpg

There was no sky detail in this frame, so I was able to do a much better job of removing the cast gradient. The green tinge near the center is a light leak around the rear filter which I have not addressed. The stone markers resemble funerary stelae, but I do not know if that is what they actually are. The splashes of red on some of the stones are not visible to the naked eye; I assume they are the remnants of some sort of paint. The tilt of the frame was due to the tripod's sitting on an incline; I decided to keep it rather than rotate and crop, which would have resulted in the loss of a lot of edge detail.

These are very interesting photos! I'm finding it really wonderful that our UVP members travel to such interesting places and make some UV photos to share with us.

Clark, I don't know what converter/editor you are using. But I wanted to mention that Photo Ninja has a Color Enhancement tool which supports desaturating certain unwanted colours. That might be useful to you for some of this work. The tool is not perfect, so sometimes it takes two passes.

Here is a small example of magenta laden raw colours.

In the 2nd photo I desaturated the magenta in PN.

In the 3rd photo I shifted the magenta to blue in PN.

bouquet_uvStraightEdgeU_sun_20160914wf_50832rawComp01pn01.jpg

bouquet_uvStraightEdgeU_sun_20160914wf_50832rawComp01pnpnNoMagenta.jpg

bouquet_uvStraightEdgeU_sun_20160914wf_50832rawComp01pnpnMagToBlue.jpg