UltravioletPhotography

Scilla siberica [Russian Squill]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Scilla siberica Haw. (Asparagaceae). Russian Squill. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...russian-squill/

Scilla siberica Haw.

Syn. Othocallis siberica (Haw.) Speta

NO: Russeblåstjerne

SE: Rysk blåstjärna; blådruva; scilla

DK: Russisk Skilla

FI: Idänsinililja

DE: Nickende Sternhyazinthe

EN: Russian Squill

An early spring flower native to southern parts of Russia and adjacent parts of the Middle East, S. siberica is widely naturalised in Europe. It grows abundantly on preferably sandy soils in open forests, parks, churchyards and road verges. Although occurring abundantly on most sites, S. siberica does not overwhelm the native vegetation and dies back completely at the time where the original flora develops. Flowering (Norway) is April to early May. The flowers are eagerly visited by smaller pollinators and some bees as well.

Plants photographed in Oslo, Norway on several occasions 2004-2007.

For a short period in the spring, S. siberica lends a delicate blue colour to its biotope.

OTHO_SIB_B0404200361_VIS.jpg

Image reference: OTHO_SIB_B0404200361_VIS

Visible light: Nikon D70, PC-Nikkor 85 mm f/2.8 lens, daylight.

A close-up at 2X magnification to see the flower details.

OTHO_SIB_I0704122942_VIS.jpg

Image reference: OTHO_SIB_I0704122942_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Fuji Finepix S3 Pro UVIR Limited Edition, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

OTHO_SIB_I0704122932_UV.jpg

Image reference: OTHO_SIB_I0704122932_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: light: Fuji Finepix S3 Pro UVIR Limited Edition, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, Vivitar 283 flash modified for UV.

Seen in UV, the gyneocium is densely papillate, this feature is not apparent in visible light. Pollen and upper parts of the stamens are UV black.

[Published 17 Apr 2013]

[updated 18 April 2016]