UltravioletPhotography

Migrating Back Home

Andrea B.

It's time to leave Shore Cottage by Somes Sound and wander in a southeasterly direction back to the Garden State to see how my own little garden has fared during my absence.

Have you ever heard of a fjard? No? Me either! Apparently Somes Sound has lost its status as a fjord and has become a fjard now. I will try henceforth to be geologically correct in my terminology. :D

Everything currently seems stable with UVP (knock.on.wood), so I will check back with everyone sometime next Monday 8 August.

Cheers -

Andrea B.

Etymology (Swedish origin) says the English version should be written fjerd not fjard. Ref. Swedish fjärd which is pronounced with a light, non-stressed e-like sound (ä). Substituting with an a makes the pronunciation dark and sinister, exactly the opposite. However, transliterating the vowel-rich Nordic tongues into English is bound to be tricky and much is lost in translation.

I do agree that the topography of Somes Sound is nothing like what we in Norway designate a 'fjord', as this implies not only a long and narrow water body, but also includes the presence of a steep landscape surrounding it. In Norwegian no distinction is actually made whether the fjord in question is sea or freshwater thus inland lakes may be a fjord as well. The lack of distinction is actually a benefit as it emphasizes the same glacial origin for both kinds of fjords (marine, inland).

The Swedish term 'fjärd' is used in a similar manner although tends to apply more to sea or close to sea locations.