UltravioletPhotography

34.5mm step up ring source

jbs054

Sorry for the minor topic, but I've found the one on eBay selling them for ~$30. Trying to get a 52mm filter on to an EL-Nikkor without the steep cost. Does anyone know of a domestic source? Or is it rare enough I'll just have to bite the bullet?

Jonathan

A 34.5 - 52mm step ring will be hard to find and unfortunately is probably not available in an inexpensive version.

Here are two places which sell them.

• Rafcamera.com. A UVP member says they are ok. Their price for the 34.5mm step ring is about $25.00 before shipping cost.

• Customphototools.com in Portugal. I've bought from this guy many times. He is asking 20 Euros for a 34.5mm before shipping cost. The rings are nicely made, but take a while to arrive.

I checked Fotodioxpro.com, 2filter.com and B&H, but could not find any 34.5mm steppers.

Anybody else have some info about finding 34.5mm step rings?

You could try SRB Photographic in the UK (www.srb-photographic.co.uk). Although they don't list a 34.5mm ring (they have 34) they do say they can make virtually any size. I know someone who had a specific one made and it wasn't too expensive. The postage might rule it out though!

Adrian

enricosavazzi

Back in the days when I started out in UV photography, I simply epoxied 34-52 mm step up rings into the filter mounts of a few El Nikkors. It is a permanent modification of the lens, and as such may be frowned upon by purists, but works fine and is cheaper than a custom ring. I still have these modified El Nikkors, and the epoxied ring still sits rock-solid after about a decade.

I subsequently got a few 34.5-52 rings from eBay, but I don't remember where from.

RafCamera supplied me with the required step-up rings. Not very cheap, but quite well made, and arrived quickly.