UltravioletPhotography

Sunpak 622 conversion

I looked into this flash myself, but settled on the Metz 45CT instead as the 622 is rare in the UK and also a pain due to its accessories (batteries, heads, leads) rarely being sold in one lot online at a good price.

I believe it has a clear (and high output) tube, so it would be a case of using the bare bulb attachment. However, bare bulb shooting reduces the concentration of light, so even though you gain in total UV output, your gain in photographic terms will be lower, and potentially actually negate the boost of removing the filtration with its fresnel and reflector. As an example, shooting my Bowens monolite bare bulb gives me 2 stops less exposure than using an average reflector dish. If you could fashion an adapter which allows the tube to be shot clear while reflecting all the 'wasted' light forwards, you might have a decent system - however, for me it was more economical to just get a second 45CT, as they are not only cheaper, they work 'out of the box' with only the fresnel needing to be removed, which is a two minute job needing 4 screws to be loosened (or just 2 if you're lazy)

As a comparison, the 622 has a GN of 160' while the 45 has 45m which is 147'

Once you swap to bare bulb I expect that GN will half, as you are spilling light out in every direction, so unless you're looking specifically for a bare bulb flash for UV or you have a 622 you want to use, it might be a poor choice.

If you're looking for more power there are certainly a few flash guns available if you don't mind the weight of external batteries etc

About this "bare bulb" thing....isn't that dangerous?

What I know about flashes could fill a pinhole with lots of room left over.

Jonathan, in response to your question ---

I think that perhaps I will go edit that Sticky where you read about the Sunpak 622. That would appear to be left over from the old days on Nikongear/Fotozones where we first began to post the Stickies. I searched and found no info here on UVP about the Sunpak 622. I did find this about the Sunpak 120j.

My apologies for the out-of-date information!

Here is the tag search for UV Lighting here on UVP: UV Lighting

Bare bulb refers to using the flash without a reflefor dish or lens. Its quite safe. The 622 even has a glass dome in case the bulb should crack. It was fashionable to shoot like this for some time and there are "modifiers" that recreate the effect with flashguns/ speed lights such as the stofenand the lightsphere. Essentially it is used to send the light in every direction rather than focus it on a subject. It gives much more diffuse shadows at the cost of flash power and control

Andrea - no worries about the info - I have a 622 kicking around, and the great thing about them is that you can swap out the flash heads for different purposes. They even created an IR head - there's one on eBay now for $80. The bare bulb head was as Jonny mentions - just a bare bulb but safe to use. I have not found any info if it is UV coated or not though.

About this "bare bulb" thing....isn't that dangerous?

What I know about flashes could fill a pinhole with lots of room left over.

Jonathan, in response to your question ---

I think that perhaps I will go edit that Sticky where you read about the Sunpak 622. That would appear to be left over from the old days on Nikongear/Fotozones where we first began to post the Stickies. I searched and found no info here on UVP about the Sunpak 622. I did find this about the Sunpak 120j.

My apologies for the out-of-date information!

Here is the tag search for UV Lighting here on UVP: UV Lighting

OK, it all makes sense now & thanks! I was worried that 'bare bulb' meant something like no protection from flying glass or whatever. Like I said, I know nothing at all about flash. First "real" flash I ever owned was my modified Nikon SB-14. :D