UltravioletPhotography

At Anchor in Southwest Harbor

Andrea B.

We have settled in for our summer stay in Southwest Harbor and I've returned to UVP duty. B)

I'm deciding whether I will attempt more UV photographs of the wildflowers here. After several summers in Maine, I think I've shot them all many times over by now. So I may give it a rest.

We arrived in time for the 4th of July fireworks to celebrate America's birthday. Given the miserable politics (forbidden topic!!!) going on here in the US, we needed a bit of celebration to remind us that at one time, at least, we did have some national principles. In the late afternoon some big boats arrived at Southwest Harbor's harbor to watch the show. Also lots of little fishing boats and runabouts, too. The evening was clear and the show was glorious as we watched from the deck.

(I was playing around with the editor and the look is not uniform. Lots of marine atmosphere made conversions somewhat difficult.)

A gaff-rigged schooner arriving in SW Harbor.

gaffRigSchooner_20160704somesSoundME_4239.jpg

This is a gaff-rigged topsail ketch, but they style themselves as the Windjammer Angelique.

gaffRigTopsailKetchAngelique_20160704somesSoundME_01.jpg

Not sure what all the flags were about. Just for the holiday perhaps?

That's Great Cranberry in the background.

flagBoat_20160704somesSoundME_3850.jpg

The Schooner Heritage arriving in SW Harbor.

schoonerHeritage_20160704somesSoundME_4229.jpg

Lovely to see all the sailing boats, thanks Andrea.

Don't worry about the politics, we down-under, are having a drama playing out too :lol:

Col

I had fun with the fireworks on 4th of July. I like to freeze-frame them and look at the explosions and smoke and shock waves. I kinda wish I'd had a lens longer than 200mm.

Enjoy!

[No, these are not UV. :D :D :D This is just your friendly Admin/Owner having some fun.]

500_4452pn.jpg

500_4320pn.jpg

500_4497pn.jpg

500_4584pn.jpg

500_4547pn.jpg

500_4652pn.jpg

500_4487pn.jpg

500_4575pn.jpg