UltravioletPhotography

340 nm CWL 10nm UV-pass filter on the way

Andrea B.

This filter should be fun to experiment with. I'm hoping it will give us some informal information about the UV reach of some of our favorite UV-capable lenses. The filter supposedly has between 90-98% transmission. We'll see. If so, then I know how I'll be spending the next few weeks.

Filter: http://www.edmundopt...-filters/65190/

Curve PDF: http://www.edmundopt...download/352103

In the category of Dust Bunny Recognition:

While energetically cloning out a dust bunny this morning on a long series of Yellowstone photographs, I noticed that the same unwanted glob was occuring in exactly the same place on photos from two different cameras each using a different lens.

"How can this be?", she asked. An instant later I realized that I was attempting to clone out a small splash on the screen of my Macbook monitor.

Maybe I need a Field Guide to Authentic Dust Bunnies to join the myriad of field guides already on my shelves. Oh well. Some days are just like this and there's nothin' you can do about it.

Andy Perrin

Ooh, do tell. The 25mm version of that looks much cheaper...

I'm glad your battles with Sylvilagus pulvis are going well.

enricosavazzi

Manually mounting/dismounting that filter in the field must not be for the faint-harted or fumble-fingered!

I once saw on a TV show, where they were handling a large raw diamond, that one diamond-company employee held up the diamond with two fingers to show it to the camera, while a second employee laid down belly-up on the floor directly under the diamond. Perhaps we should start hiring soft-bellied assistants for our UV field work? (or grow an own potbelly if we cannot afford an assistant after paying for the filter) :lol:

Yes, a pricey but interesting filter. I think the narrow bandwidth filters will provide information regarding UV phenomena that is lost with broader bandwidths. A selection of at least three different filters, e.g., 340-360, 350-370, 360-380, and the means to easily switch them (large filter wheel?) sounds intriguing.

I finally broke down and ordered a run of dichroic filters on fused silica made to my specs. They should be in next week. I know, they have the bandshift problem endemic to dichroic filters, but I wanted to get some really high transmission and high OD. Fingers crossed that the makers met my specs.

Andy Perrin
Reed, how much did that cost? I'd love to do something like that, but I always assumed the cost would be more than my camera.

Andy,

I had to place a bulk order to make it profitable for them to fire up their furnace. A single dichroic filter made to spec would be much more expensive than Andrea's new filter.

Andy Perrin
Yeah, my guideline for buying new photography equipment is that any accessory that costs more than the camera itself is probably not worth it, for the same reason buying gold-plated stereo cables won't improve your sound system if you have a cheap stereo: it's not the limiting factor.
Andy Perrin
Reed, will you make UV false-color images with those? Like put one BP filter in each channel? I'm really curious how that would come out.
Well, foo !!! I just got an email from Edmund Optics that the 340CWL10 is on "backorder" and won't be available until 8/23. So all my exciting experiments will have to wait until then.
Someone asked me whether I can write off this filter expense? The answer is no. Neither UVP nor I are a business. Any gear I buy is strictly for my own use and enjoyment!