UltravioletPhotography

Hello to the group

jbs054

My name is Jonathan Smith and I am employed by the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art at the University of Oregon in Eugene. We are a small academic art museum with a focus on teaching museum studies. As such we have a large mission with a small budget. I have been interested in multispectral imaging of artwork since being hired, and have been slowly bringing these techniques into the workflow at the museum. It is my desire to achieve the best results possible on a limited budget and then bring these techniques to the students we work with. Our IR photography workflow is well underway, and I am now been tackling UV workflow.

I'm excited to find this resource and hope I can provide similarly!

Welcome to our small, but highly competent, community of UV shooters. We also include IR and multispectral work within our scope, so post away or ask any question you like. The chance is high you will get an answer on UVP.

Hello Jonathan and welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy the site and find some information useful to your work. We have members here with a wide range of collective experience, so I hope we are able to help you with any questions.

It would be very interesting to hear how you use multispectral imaging in your work. What particular wavebands of UV and IR are used in museum work? Broadband UV? Near-UV? What gear do you use? I would think that the lighting/illumination would be particularly important in such work.

Welcome!

I find the investigation of paintings through UVIR extremely interesting. You can certainly work with UV light on a small budget if you are willing to make compromise's such as shutter speeds or range of wavelengths. I look forward to hearing about your work!

Hi Jonathan, Welcome. I live in Eugene also. :-)

I have a few filters, few full spectrum cameras, few lenses... so if you need any help let me know, I am right over the other side of Hendricks hill from the Museum.

Hi Andrea - thanks for the welcome! Our scope is limited at this point, truly a nascent, shoestring foray into alternative techniques. Our IR work is limited to near-IR using a modded Nikon D70. We are currently having an X-E1 professionally modified to full-spectrum - this will hopefully provide proof-of-concept evidence to the administration so that we can build a budget for better equipment. The near-IR work is not enough to provide evidence of underpainting, but it does help to identify overpainting repairs, fading inscriptions and other modifications to the original painting. We're hoping that the UV and UV fluorescence will identify other problems or conservation needs.

Hello Jonathan and welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy the site and find some information useful to your work. We have members here with a wide range of collective experience, so I hope we are able to help you with any questions.

It would be very interesting to hear how you use multispectral imaging in your work. What particular wavebands of UV and IR are used in museum work? Broadband UV? Near-UV? What gear do you use? I would think that the lighting/illumination would be particularly important in such work.

That's great! If you're ever at the museum, have the front desk give me a call and I'll show you around!

Hi Jonathan, Welcome. I live in Eugene also. :-)

I have a few filters, few full spectrum cameras, few lenses... so if you need any help let me know, I am right over the other side of Hendricks hill from the Museum.