UltravioletPhotography

Hail to the Sun (premise)

DonPilou

Good morning everyone!

Finally, the sun is back in Paris, and UV photography with it! This time I have use a reflector to light on the eyes of my model, who has a lot of freckles! Concerning the processing, I was looking for burning effect on the skin, so a warmer colour using channel inversion (same that the one in infrared photography) after a white balance made on the white of the eyes.

• Gear : Canon 6D full-spectrum + Nikon 50 E 1.8 + LUV U2 filter
  • Exif : 50mm, F/2.8, 400iso, 1/15s

Waiting for your feelings wink.png

post-112-0-60519100-1465560401.jpg

C'est bon!

That amount of "freckling" is quite common for persons of fair complexion. A few years ago, there was a fad among dermatologists who used such photos as this as purported evidence of hidden skin damage. I think that was debunked; one hears less about it these days. But it did get some people into UV photography.

Andy Perrin
I love it! I like the pose there, and the specular reflection on her eyes. ("The specular reflection on her eyes" is the best I can do, but it ain't Willie's Sonnet 130.)

I love the pose. Very cool. And a lovely model for UV work. Elegant and with UV freckles. "-)

The channel inversion & white balance which you used seem to have given a sepia-tone look to the photograph. This is quite nice I think and seems to work well for this photo in particular.

I think I might open up the shadows to show more of the facial detail. Especially if you are doing portraiture rather than straight documentation. There is a lot of detail in those shadows, so it might be interesting to reveal that. What do you think?

[The photographer's artistic vision always takes precedence over any editing suggestion like I just made. :D ]

Thank you all for your comments. Indeed Andrea, in this project of portraits there will be two types of poses : a simple pose of the model receiving the sun as a source of warmest (that explains the warm tones), with the eyes closed, and a second pose where the model is looking at the camera and is hiding her eyes from the sun. For this pose I'm looking for a dark band where the eyes are reflecting the light of a reflector.

So here is the more classical pose, with the same EXIF data :

post-112-0-58642900-1465583899.jpg