UltravioletPhotography

Hello, from Massachusetts

Hello all,

To introduce myself I'd like to share a few photos I've taken, and a bit about me.

Way back when (I won't say how long!), when I first realized my camera could see more than I can, I turned almost all my photographic attention to finding hidden images - especially those in our everday world. And where better to start than by turning the camera on myself. I'll share some examples...

After a routine annual checkup at the doctor one year I shot an infrared image of the site on my arm where a blood sample was taken. To the unaided eye there was barely a tiny spot to be seen in the crook of my elbow; but in IR the subcutaneous damage was evident. This image is a diptych of day 0 (left), and day 7 (right) showing the same sight healed a week later:

I also found some things can be made evident using the other end of the spectrum. For example, sebum in the pores of my face under UV:

Or, using either long or short wave UV (365 or 254 nM), a collection of some random stones I have (at least one of which contains some tiny/trace amount of Uranium - or so I was told by the seller (I believe its the red fluorescing stone in the back/right):

I also quickly learned how much more difficult reflected UV would be, given the relative lack of sensitivity to UV of CCD and CMOS image sensors, the low transmission of most glass lenses, and more. I'll have more to post on this subject later.

Most recently, and just for fun really, I've been playing with thermal IR imaging. Of course, this being the internet, a cat picture is par for the course. Meet Gracey, looking quite well insulated under all her fur:

In a more practical application, a shot of my electric bicycle after a quick seven mile ride - showing not only the heated motor (in the rear hub), but also the heat from the batteries (locked inside a protective case in the center of the bike):

I have many more images to share, and hope to make many more to share. As I do I will post with proper technical details and background information. For now I just want to say hello, and thank you for reading.

- Mark

Hi Mark & welcome to UVP & thanks for showing your range of interests in the extra wavelengths that your camera can capture.

It is not a good idea to expose your precious eyesight to UV rays either.

Cheers

Col

Hello Mark - and welcome to UVP!! I hope you enjoy the site. We will look forward to your explorations and posts.

That is a wicked-cool UV portrait!!

[Naturally as Owner/Admin I do have to remind anyone new to the site to take all the safety precautions with dangerous short wave UV (254nm area) as it does damage DNA. We also encourage long wave UV portraits to be made in sunlight rather than under artificial UV flash or UV LED to prevent the accumulation of damage to the eyes (cataracts). I'm sure you already know this stuff, but it's part of my job to keep up the awareness of the dangers.]

Say, what gear are you using for the Thermal imaging? I don't have a specific section for that currently. But the IR board could be used. The kitty & bike shots are interesting. It makes sense that Gracey's ears & eyes are warmer. Why are there some warm areas on the lower fur areas I wonder? Does the yellow indicate the warmest area - the eyes??

Recently we had a post about detection of aged bruises using UV. So next time there's a blood test, maybe you can also check it out in UV after a couple of weeks.

Andy Perrin

Hey, we have a lot in common. I'm in MA and into thermal imaging also, although my FLIR i7 isn't nearly as nice as yours. (I bought it when the 320x240 resolution was still too expensive.) Here's Yawkey station:

post-94-0-12161300-1465229664.jpg

Welcome!

---

Andrea, having done thermal imaging of felines before, the two hottest places on a cat are the eyes...and the anus.

First off, thank you! for welcoming me to the forum. I respect and appreciate the words of caution against exposure to UV - and I want to assure everyone that I have strictly limited my exposure in shots of myself, and always wear enhanced UV blocking safety glasses (otherwise) when working with either LW/SWUV.

Regarding the warm spot on my cat's arm - that's just an area where her long fur was bunched and parted, exposing the warm skin below (which she just had tucked nicely beneath her whilst napping - until I came along pointing a camera at her [which btw, is a ThermApp attachment for my Android phone]). The camera is super low resolution, as most any remotely affordable thermal camera is - to which my solution has been to shoot a series of images and stitch them together to generate a higher resolution image (as in the case of my bicycle shot).

Now, while I consider what to have for dinner tonight, I'm going to start pulling some images out of my collection to share here on the forums.

Thanks again, I look forward to sharing and learning here at UVP.

- Mark

Andy Perrin

Cadmium -- I would really love one. My 6-year-old i7 is 120x120. I stitch images the way Mark does, but I have to say, his camera seems to make nicer looking images than what comes out of mine.

I will add that my camera spends 90% of its time in the kitchen, actually. It's turned out to be a HELL of a cooking aid! I use it when reheating food in the microwave to make sure there aren't cold spots, and when making candy — I am a prolific candy-maker when I'm not on a diet — to make sure the temperature is uniform as the ingredients are mixed and heated.

I gotta get that ThermApp attachment for my Samsung cellie !!!
Welcome to UVP, Mark. Apparently you blend in nicely with the guys hanging out here already :D