UltravioletPhotography

Chelidonium majus

Andy Perrin

These greater celandines have been blooming all over for the past few days.

Visible reference (iPhone 6S Plus)

post-94-0-64439000-1464235298.jpg

UV: sunshine, NEX-7, Novoflex Noflexar, 330WB80 back-mounted, F5.6 5" ISO100

post-94-0-05433200-1464235345.jpg

Visible reference (and boy did that flower wilt quickly!)

post-94-0-30134900-1464235581.jpg

UV: sunshine, NEX-7, Novoflex Noflexar, 330WB80 back-mounted, F16(?) 0.4" ISO1600

post-94-0-44151300-1464235611.jpg

The question mark on the aperture is because my camera doesn't record it automatically, and the Noflexar has that deliberately-loose aperture ring that you're supposed to twist one way to allow focusing with more light, and then the other way to set the stop. But I always forget to twist the damn ring back! So I live in a state of perpetual uncertainty about what my aperture was, unless I'm very careful.

Andy, yes, with all the myriad 35/3.5 aperture preset lenses we have to learn to open up then stop down. I forget sometimes too! Usually you can tell by just looking at your depth of field in the photo. You will soon get the protocol established in your head.

Andy, here is a template for you. Create a new topic in Papaveraceae entitled:

• Chelidonium majus [Greater Celadine]: Another Example

Then fill in the details and upload your photos. You can alter the template as desired (add captions, omit or add brackets, change bolding except for first reference line, etc) so long as the basic information is posted.

I don't know what reference you are using, but the New England Wildflower Society is the best for New England. The link is below. There is also an accompanying weighty tome - Flora Novae Angliae, 2011, Haines - should you ever get into botany as a serious hobby.

Perrin, A. (2016) Another example of Chelidonium majus L. (Papaveraceae) Greater Celadine. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. LINK_to_topic

Date

Wildflower

Synonyms:

[Add other common names or older genus/species names.]

• Chelidonium majus var. laciniatum (P. Mill.) Syme
  • Chelidonium majus var. plenum Wehrhaln

Comment:

Tell a little bit about the flower. Anything will do. Describe briefly its UV appearance. Note that a previous version has been shown here on UVP like this: Rørslett (2012) first showed Chelidonium majus in ultraviolet(1).

Reference:

[The key reference for New England is the New England Wild Flower Society. Look up your flower there.]

1. Rørslett, B. 2012. Chelidonium majus L. (Papaveraceae). Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...eater-celadine/

2. New England Wild Flower Society (Date_of_Accession) Taxonname. Commonname. LINK

Equipment:

Visible [iPhone 6S Plus]

Ultraviolet [sony NEX-7-broadband + Novoflex 35/3.5 Noflexar]

[Add some exposure information and Vis/UV identification]

[if you don't have an aperture, don't worry about it. OR just add a question mark. f/16?]

[Construct this info as desired. This is just an example.]

Visible Light [f/xxx for 1/xxx" @ ISO-XXX in Sunlight]

Visible Light [f/xxx for 1/xxx" @ ISO-XXX in Sunlight with Onboard Flash]

Ultraviolet Light [f/xxx for 1/xxx" @ ISO-XXX in Sunlight with Omega 330BW80 UV-Pass Filter, Back-mounted]

Andy Perrin

colinbm, I discovered by accident that the recycle box was that gorgeous violet in UV, so it's now my favorite stage for yellow flowers. Complementary colors for the win!

Andrea, thanks, I'll get to work on it.