UltravioletPhotography

A new portrait

DonPilou

Good evening everyone!

I've been waiting for some sunlight the last week, and finally decided to try my new Nikon 50 E 1.8 for an ultraviolet portrait. The sun was masked by some clouds, which explains the EXIF of the shot.

• Gear : Canon 6D full-spectrum + Nikon 50 E 1.8 + LUV U2 filter
  • Exif : 50mm, F/2.8, 800iso, 1/6s
  • White balance made with a gray chart
  • Tripod used because of the exposure
  • Digital processing : channel swap similar to infrared photography to obtain this warm tones.

I have kept the exposure a bit low to obtain a darker skin thank to ultraviolet.

Next step : full sunlight + reflector!

post-112-0-28401000-1463248684.jpg

This came out quite well, I think. Thanks for sharing the technical data to remind that modest lenses can do UV surprisingly well.
Andy Perrin

It's really a gorgeous portrait.

ETA: I wonder if full sunlight is really a good idea. I tried a self portrait awhile back, and I got really stark shadows under my eyes in full sunshine. It's possible the reflector would help fill that in, but you may have actually done better this way? You'll have to tell us how it goes.

Thanks to all of you. Indeed Andy, the contrast under full sunlight may be more important, I will see that.

Very interesting & cool UV portrait.

Do the woman's freckles show up in visible light?

I think reflectors should reduce any under-eye shadowing with proper placement.

It is more difficult for the subject not to frown or squint with all that sun in the face. "-)

I wonder if under-eye darkness in UV might be due to something other than shadows? The skin is thinnner there so we could be seeing a different cellular structure or more blood or something like that?

Thank you all for your comments. To answer the questions :

"Do the woman's freckles show up in visible light?"

No they don't, the skin is fully white and clean

"It is more difficult for the subject not to frown or squint with all that sun in the face. "

Indeed, in that case I ask the model to close the eyes until I am ready to shoot, so the eyes are just opened during one second.