UltravioletPhotography

A first female portrait

moggafogga

Hello everyone,

this is my second post-processing of a portrait in near infrared by use of Heliopan RG695. It is rather hard to focus correctly, because of the remaining amount of visible light. Lighting and reflecting glasses are also difficult sad.png All I want to try are some settings in Lightroom to restore a natural skin tone and red lips. What do you think... is it necessary to restore the hair color too? Maybe for future work, it seems to be easier by use of Photoshop.

post-80-0-66506100-1460360625.jpg

Cheers, Martin

My own experience is that using an orange filter and emulate the appearance of Infrared Ektachrome also makes people look much more 'natural'. The veil of murky brownish-reddish hues is lifted and the sky once again will be blue.

My preferred camera for such photography has up till now been the quaint Fuji S3 Pro in a UV/IR Limited Edition. Today we would designate it as 'full spectrum'. It is a very temperamental camera in operation, has a voracious appetite for batteries and eats AA cells like a chipmunk on a sugar crush. Handling is excellent except for the finder, which is not very good, but got better with a Katzeye screen implant. Liveview is present - in theory - but with so many restrictions one should never try to use this feature. The sensor is claimed to be 12 MPix by Fuji, but as two kinds of pixels exist and are not independent of each other, the claim is a bit exaggerated. Any way, Fuji's 'Super CCD' does have good dynamic range in turn leading to raw files (RAF) that are huge (25 MB +) and very difficult to process as most RAW converters simply either ignore them completely or do a pale attempt to make something out of half the pixels.

I recently learned that RawTherapee is able to digest and process these RAF files, and results are nice. Thus Andrea is on a mission currently yto have a Fuji S5Pro converted to a similar 'full spectrum' camera. I have already verified that RawTherapee is able to deal with the S5 files as well.

The S5 is a Fuji reincarnation of the Nikon D200 and uses most of the auxiliary stuff of that model. However, batteries are different although the same charger can deal with both. Most important for me was the GPS support and being able avoid the AA-type battery source.

You could also try BGR rather than RGB display intent--many IR photographers do this and it will also give you your blue sky.

If a red-blue channel swap is done, the sky may become blue but so will the girl's face. That may or may not be a desired outcome. "-)

Here I moved magenta and orange tones more towards red. This improves the skin somewhat. Also removed yellow. (All done in Photo Ninja.) Perhaps this helps you decide?

post-80-0-66506100-1460360625pn.jpg