UltravioletPhotography

Hello from France!

DonPilou

Good morning everyone!

I have spent the last 48h reading all the articles of this website, so I think it is time for me to introduce myself.

I am a French photographer living in Paris, who worked first as an optical engineer in sensor field during 4 years.

I am in love with sensors and the possibilities to capture invisible light. I started with infrared photography 3 years ago, and for 1 year now I am part of a group dedicated to infrared photography, publishing free tutorials, videos and interviews in our website (in french...) : http://infrarouge.photo/

In addition, I started reading about ultraviolet photography, which appears to be more difficult to realize than infrared photography. So I am looking for a lot of informations to realize principally ultraviolet portraits in reflectance (showing all the skin defaults).

Concerning my gear, I use a Canon 6D full-spectrum with Heliopan infrared filters, and I have just bought a Hoya U340 and a Hoya C-500 (made with BG39 glass) for ultraviolet photography. I made my first tests with the Hoya U340 and a Vivitar 135 F/2.8 which appears to not being a good lens for UV photography (even if I am still waiting for the Hoya C-500 to cut IR). So I am now waiting for the Revue 135 F/3.5 ordered 2 hours ago ;) that seems to be good at transmitting UV, as I have red in this website. If the results with the Revue lens + U340 + C-500 is good, I will buy a luvu 2 uv-pass filter to replace the two Hoya filters.

So at the moment I think I am more capable of giving advices in infrared photography, and I will post UV shots as soon as I can.

You can find some examples of my infrared shots here, here and here.

Thanks again for all the information I have found here!

PL

Andy Perrin
Gorgeous infrared photos! (I love that it is "infrarouge" in French -- it sounds classier to my American ears.)

Pierre-Louis, welcome to UVP !! I hope you enjoy the website and are able to find the information you are looking for. We have a lot of Pinned topics ("Stickies") which contain summaries for lens, filter and camera information.

There are also some filter transmission charts which are helpful in understanding how to block IR to prevent contamination of a UV photograph. Note that when using BG39 as an IR-blocker over a U-340 filter, the peak transmission moves to some point higher than 340nm. It may move as far as 360nm.

Remember that it is important to provide eye protection for any human or animal subject if you are making a UV portrait with artificial UV illumination such as UV-LEDs or UV-Flash.

I very much enjoyed your IR portraits of the girl with flowers in her hair. They are lovely.

Most welcome to our UV-centric corner of the world. Looking forward to see your contributions whether they be UV or IR.
I have just received a Revue 135 F/3.5 from Germany, it works well with my 6D full spectrum and an UV light, I will test it in the street at the end of the week.