UltravioletPhotography

[Filter Test] Hoya B410: Quick Look

Andrea B.

Actual sunshine was gracing the snow, so I ran out for a very quick test shot with the new Hoya B-410 filter.

Equipment: D600-broadband + Coastal 60/4.0 + Hoya B-410 (3mm) + Sunlight

Exposure: f/4 for 1/10000" @ ISO-100

Settings: Neutral Picture Control with Sharp+5, Contrast+1, Sat+1.

Converter: Capture NX2 (preserves all in-camera settings)

These photos will click up to a 1000 pixel width should you wish to appreciate the finer details of the New Jersey power grid in a suburban neighborhood.

SOOC where I had used my UV preset WB. Woops.

Looks pretty boring this way.

600_1095.jpg

Plain daylight WB.

Or as I call it - "Candyland".

B410_Daylight_Neu511.jpg

Applied white balance to the snow (what else!?!).

The trees' colour is an orange when measured.

B410_Daylight_Neu511_WBSnow.jpg

Applied more saturation to that orange (only).

B410_Daylight_Neu511_WBSnow_OrangeSat.jpg

Pushed the orange to red and darkened it a bit.

Just playin'. Trying to get that old Red & Blue look.

B410_Daylight_Neu511_WBSnow_OrangeSatDarkToRed.jpg

Same tweaks but made in Photo Ninja.

Because I worship at the feet of the Photo Ninja Detail Slider.

600_1095pn.jpg

Going to extremes in Photo Ninja.

Now I've whacked the blue sky with mo' blue. Maybe a bit too much!?

600_1095pn3.jpg

Preceding but with clouds brightened.

But still no - because the sky lost clarity? Oh well.

600_1095pn4.jpg

A plainer Photo Ninja version.

Very Orange & Cyan. Very 1950s. I like it in a sort of weird way.

600_1095pnPlain.jpg

Raw Digger raw composite with Gamma & Autoscale.

What really got recorded. Very boring indeed. Possibly instructive??

600_1095_RawComp01.jpg

My goodness this lens provides detail. And I was just fooling around at f/4.

Unresized crop showing house detail. This is after sharpening, etc. But still wow.

600_1095pn4Detail.jpg

I had to google this filter — what am I looking at here, spectrally speaking? The spectrum I found says this filter has basically everything but red/orange/yellow, so is this blue/green + infrared? Or did you block the infrared?

Andy, I have only a printed transmission chart for the B-410, but I'll find one online and post it. I shot with just the B-410 and no additional filtration. Col has this filter and has showed an interesting foto from it. I like this kind of filter as an "art filter" for my so-called art. :D

Shane, Lens Rentals was selling D750s and CO60s at excellent prices so I decided to pick up the camera for conversion and give the lens another try.

The first time I bought a brand new CO60 (at full price), it was rather disconcerting to be the person who "discovered" the hotspot at at a certain few apertures and magnifications. I cannot have been the first one who saw this phenomenon, but I never saw any mention of it anywhere at that past time. Then, imagine me, a nobody, trying to tell Bjørn Rørslett and Lloyd Chambers that there was a problem with this lens which they had not "discovered"!! Then imagine trying to tell the Coastal Optics customer service and sales rep about this hotspot thing and getting the Crazy Lady lecture. It was all very upsetting back then. So I just gave up and returned the darned lens. :D :D :D

But now we roll forward a few years and have Enrico's finding that the hotspot could be dealt with nicely using a lens shade of a certain construction and Bjørn's confirmation of this. So why not try the CO60 again at an excellent price, I thought. So I did.

(Note: It was determined very early on by Brian Caldwell that the hotspot region could also be dealt with via extension.)

And here is a histogram of the raw channels in the snow scene above.

It is always interesting to know that even though red/orange are pretty much suppressed by the filter,

some of the light passing thru the Bayer is recorded in the red channel.

Must be from some reflected UV, yes? :D

600_1095histogram.jpg

I like your "Applied more saturation to that orange (only)." pic best. From the large amount of IR that filter is passing, I bet the trees will look a lot more interesting when spring leaves finally arrive!