UltravioletPhotography

What colour do you call this?

Andrea B.

In theory the combination of 1R + 2/3G looks "Orange" when bright enough. But when it gets in this range I have trouble with it. Is it called just "Dark Orange"? Or is it a kind of "Brown". How do you interpret this colour? Sometimes I look at it and want to call it "Reddy-Green" which makes no sense at all.

This started out as (90, 60, 0) before saving as a jpeg.

OK, I'm going with "Brown".

ReddyGreen.jpg

Bill De Jager
Dark orange and reddy-green make sense to me, but brown is the more conventional interpretation. :D There has got to be a specific name for this shade of brown, though.

Well, I wasn't looking for a specific name. More like trying to decide between Dark Orange and Brown, I suppose.

I don't really see this Brown colour as a kind of Orange even though it is.

And I don't see brighter Oranges as "reddy-green" like I sort of think of this Brown.

I love Crayons and their colour names !! There is some online historical site somewhere about this. The most recent Crayola colour names have gotten a little weird for me, but the kids love 'em.

Here it is. Apparently people collect old crayons!

http://www.crayoncollecting.com/ccolor01.htm

That's why I love them so much! You find things like "Jealous Alannis Green" and "Old Gym Sock Grey"! [*]

[*] These examples may be fictitious.

That link led me to this information eventually.

(90, 60, 0) = hex #5A3C00

The hexadecimal color code #5a3c00 is a dark shade of brown. In the RGB color model #5a3c00 is comprised of 35.29% red, 23.53% green and 0% blue. In the HSL color space #5a3c00 has a hue of 40 degrees, 100% saturation and 17.65% lightness. This color has an approximate wavelength of 595 nm.

It is very tempting to say this Brown is 60% red and 40% green, isn't it? :D

Here's that Brown colour at full brightness. I can't see any green it in at all now. Only red & yellow.

fullSatBrite.jpg

My brown above is approximately 595nm. But I do not know how brightness is dealt with in spectral colours. Are spectral colours defined to be 100% saturated and 100% bright?
That's what he's saying -- brown can't be assigned one wavelength, just like you can't with pink. I'm not 100% sure how the HSV system relates to the spectrum, but I suspect your guess of 100% saturated and 100% bright is correct. I'm not sure what that 595nm number really means here. It might not have any meaning, or it might represent the peak wavelength in the distribution of wavelengths that produces that brown?

I'm not sure either what the 595 nm means in the copied comment above!!

Running 595 nm through one of the typical wavelength-to-rgb calculators, we would always get back some 100% bright, 100% saturated RGB value like (255, 207, 0) or (255, 168, 0). So I suspect the comment was referring to that.

LIke 595 nm is a kind of base wavelength associated with all the variations between my Brown and Orange so long as they remain at the 40° mark on the colour wheel.

There is a lot of approximation and "re-modeling" going on in the attempt to stuff a wavelength into an RGB box or vice-versa. :D And it certainly is not a 1-1 relationship which further complicates things.

Well, enough of my musing about that Brown colour which confuses my eye.

We all have better things to do.

Where I live, that "better thing to do" will be shoveling the great blast of snow soon

to descend upon us in an upcoming Nor'easter. Foo !!!!