UltravioletPhotography

Gerbera sp. [Gerbera]

Blum, A.G. (2016) Gerbera L. sp. (Asteraceae) Gerbera. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light with bee vision simulation.

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

23 October 2016

Cultivar in home garden

Comment: Although primarily UV-dark, this vivid red Gebera shows some UV-brightness on the tips of open disk flowers. The Visible yellow, UV-absorbing center of the flower is a green colour in the Bee Vision simulation to illustrate that a bee might have only its green receptor stimulated by this portion of the flower.

Reference:

1. Missouri Botanical Garden (2015) Gerbera jamesonii http://www.missourib...kempercode=a518

2. Wikipedia (Jan 2015) Gerbera. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerbera

My specimen is a generic variety sold at a garden store, so I was not sure what to offer as a reference.

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Please click these photos up to their 1200px wide version to see the details.

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/320" @ ISO 200 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

d600_visSun_2015.10.23wf_40620pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1.3" @ ISO-200 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

d600_uvBaad_Sun_2015.10.23wf_40628pn.jpg

Bee Vision [f/8 for 1/3" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with UG-330 (1.5mm) + S8612 (2.0mm)]

gerbera_ug330_150_s8612_200_Sun_2015.10.23wf_40667pn.jpg

Oooh! The Bee Vision one looks sharpest, even more so than the individual visual and UV pictures. Any idea why it is more in-focus? Was it just luck, or is the focal shift more favorable or something?

Andy, shorter UV wavelengths reveal much more surface detail than do Visible wavelengths. Typically, that gives an impression of more sharpness in any UV and Bee Vision photographs over the Visible version of the same scene.

I was shooting outdoors in sunlight with no additional artificial illumination, so the UV photo exposure was 1.3" long and is therefore less sharp than the Bee Vision photo.

It is surprising that the UV photo is as sharp as it is given that exposure length. :D

I refocus after each filter change, so there will be no focal-shift effects.

Steve, thank you. I have really enjoyed learning how to shoot the BV combinations. I have the U-330 + S8612 combo and also the UG-5 + S8612.