UltravioletPhotography

Ebay Converter: Some may not offer proper camera conversions

Andrea B.

A proper camera conversion entails at least two things:

• Conversion under Clean Room conditions to prevent dust while camera is open.
  • Full disclosure of the properties of any glass or filter used in the conversion.
  • Information about possible removal of dust shakers or other such sensor attachments.

Note that "Clean Room" is a generic term. The set-up and equipment for preventing dust contamination may vary.

I would not recommend most Ebay converters simply because they make no mention of using Clean Room conditions. The ads are quite grand from some of these sellers with long discussions of glass types used for Full Spectrum conversions. That's all good, but dust under the conversion glass can ruin the conversion and entail a tedious re-shipping for clean-up with no guarantee that it won't happen again if the conversion was not properly done. This includes reseating the existing ICF gasket around the new filter glass or some other form of sealing.

Also some Ebay converters offer "sealing" of the new filter with silicone adhesives. This would make reconversion difficult. And silicone outgases, so it is not a good choice for camera internals. Use of any adhesives must be done with careful choice to avoid bad effects on internal camera parts. Typically the original filter is surrounded by a gasket that can be replaced on the new filter to prevent further dust intrusion.

To be fair, not every Ebay converter fails on all three counts.

Also noted is that converters seem to come & go on Ebay. Some who used to advertise there are gone.

Even from the respected online conversion stores with Clean Room conditions, etc, there have been instances of dust contamination. Hopefully, things have improved as experience has been gained.

So far in the US, only MaxMax, LifePixel and Kolari Vision are recommended and listed in the Sticky.

However, I need to review what they are offering. Have not done that for awhile.

Editor's Note: I removed an original statement about "sealing" because it was misleading.

MaxMax

1) Class 100 optical clean bench, plasma chamber, ionized air curtain, static control mats.

We work on cameras in a Class 100 clean bench environment. Class 100 US FED Std 209E is equivalent to a Class 5 ISO 14644-1. Class 100 environment means that maximum particles for cubic foot is 100 > 5 microns. Once we noted on our website that we installed a class 100 clean bench, one of our competitors claimed they had a ISO Class 100 clean bench a week later. Subsequently, they changed their claim to a Class 5 environment. We also don't claim to have equipment we don't really have.

2) Schott WG280 for Full Spec conversions. Transmission charts.

3) Mentioned, but I lost the link. Will repost later.

Life Pixel

1) Class 5 clean air. Scroll down and click linked question:

?

We have a specifically designed process for dust elimination working in class 5 clean air and can get as close to a dust free conversion as is practical but in most cases there will remain a few dust specks normally invisible in photographs.

2) Transmission charts. Scroll down and click question:

Also, photos from all offered filters are shown:
http://www.lifepixel...filters-choices

Specfic glass types not mentioned. But with transmission charts, I am OK with this.

3) I can't find anything so far about removal of dust shakers.

KUDOS to Life Pixel for providing excellent Video of Nikon IR shutter monitor problem for D700/3/3S/3X. Although they recommend that if you stay at low ISOs, the IR fogging is not a problem. This was NOT my personal experience with the D700.

Kolari Vision

1) ISO Class 5 clean bench. http://kolarivision.com/

2) Filter cut-in mentioned and photos from all offered filters. I suppose I can live with this.

3) Discusses removal of dust shakers. http://kolarivision....dust-reduction/

Some can be left in place.