UltravioletPhotography

How do I fit the filter to the lens?

jknights

I have purchased a Baader Venus U filter (47.79mm diameter across the threads of the filter mount) and I have a flat filter holder (AF3 like or similar) that hinges to allow insertion of resin filters.

I want to mount the Baader filter to the outside of the filter holder so I can hinge it down to compose my UV shots before then putting the filter into place to take the shot. The AF3 screws directly into the 52mm filter of a Nikon lens or an adapter for fitting it to a Schneider Componon S 135mm f5.6 enlarging lens (filter ring is 49.03mm). The lens(es) will mount onto a Nikon PB5 bellows for my shooting using a Nikon D70S camera.

Am I approaching this the wrong way round?

Should the filter be mounted and in place for the composition process? Therefore maybe I dont need to mount it on the flat filter holder.

How do I mount the filter in the filter holder (safely) so it can be easily removed?

Alternative suggestions and ways of mounting the Baader filter in the holder would be welcomed.

I guess I need some cotton gloves to work with the Baader filter as it is pristine and I dont want finger marks on the filter. :-)

Thanks.

Please forgive me if I mention things you already know.

We are never sure who knows what, so sometimes we overexplain. :D

Should the filter be mounted and in place for the composition process?

You should not have your UV-Pass filter in place to compose your shot and set the initial focus in Visible light - because you cannot see through a UV-Pass filter in the D70S Viewfinder.

Just remember that after you place the UV-pass filter onto the lens, then you will need to adjust the focusing ring by some, small pre-determined amount to account for focus-shift between the Visible scene and the UV scene.

I don't know how your particular lens is marked. Some lenses used to be pre-marked to account for such focus shifts. If not, then you will have to figure out your adjustment amount by trial and error.

I guess I need some cotton gloves to work with the Baader filter

You might be able to find some thin gloves made from Nitrile or Latex at a place selling medical supplies. I don't know what those places are in Spain. Here in the US we would go to a "drugstore" or "pharmacy" for such gloves. It is much easier to handle small filters and so forth wearing this kind of thin glove.

The BaaderU filter is fairly tough. Finger marks are easily removed with the usual microfiber cloths or filter cleaning fluids. But I applaud your caution and think it a good idea to use gloves while completing your filter setup.

How do I mount the filter in the filter holder (safely) so it can be easily removed?

Your flip-down gel filter holder (which screws onto the lens) should also permit a step-ring to be screwed into the drop-down panel. So you determine the diameter of that drop-down opening and then get a step-ring which permits you to add the 48mm BaaderU. If the front panel has a large diameter, then it is possible you will need two step rings to match it to the 48mm BaaderU. For example: 60-52mm + 52-48mm.

Note: the BaaderU filter requires a 48mm step-ring on its side.

Andrea, treat me as a complete noob as I am in UV but I have been doing digital since 1998 and film before that when I was a boy!

I don't know how your particular lens is marked. Some lenses used to be pre-marked to account for such focus shifts. If not, then you will have to figure out your adjustment amount by trial and error.

I guess I need some cotton gloves to work with the Baader filter

You might be able to find some thin gloves made from Nitrile or Latex at a place selling medical supplies. I don't know what those places are in Spain. Here in the US we would go to a "drugstore" or "pharmacy" for such gloves. It is much easier to handle small filters and so forth wearing this kind of thin glove.

The BaaderU filter is fairly tough. Finger marks are easily removed with the usual microfiber cloths or filter cleaning fluids. But I applaud your caution and think it a good idea to use gloves while completing your filter setup.

Your flip-down gel filter holder (which screws onto the lens) should also permit a step-ring to be screwed into the drop-down panel. So you determine the diameter of that drop-down opening and then get a step-ring which permits you to add the 48mm BaaderU. If the front panel has a large diameter, then it is possible you will need two step rings to match it to the 48mm BaaderU. For example: 60-52mm + 52-48mm.

Note: the BaaderU filter requires a 48mm step-ring on its side.

Thanks for these three paragraphs of important pointers.

My Schneider Componon is in a set of bellowsso I will need to do some trial and error experiments.

I'll go get some gloves from the pharmacy.

OK I need a 52-48mm stepping ring. Another ebay purchase coming up. :-)

Thanks very much for your help.

Andrea, also, I am a complete noob (at least to interchangeable lens cameras and associated equipment) so even if jknights is familiar with all of this, it is very helpful to me that you spelled it out!

Andrea, also, I am a complete noob (at least to interchangeable lens cameras and associated equipment) so even if jknights is familiar with all of this, it is very helpful to me that you spelled it out!

Andy please dont overstate my zero knowledge in the UV world. :lol: :-)

Last time I used UV was in 1990 in my lab to visualise DNA extracted from bacteria.

I have my UV/IR lenses stepped to 52mm and all my filters stepped to 52 mm. So I just use the screw-on/screw-off method when working. Not everyone's choice I grant. :D

I broke the BaaderU at the Anza-Borrego visitor's center desert gardens (all this in southern California) when I and the tripod slid on some gravel/sand/rocks while coming out of a shooting position near to ground and I lost hold of everything. I stepped right on that BaaderU but did not realize it until I had picked my self up and was brushing gravel off my scraped legs.

We had a few things happen on that trip. Cameras fell out of the back of the SUV. A couple of items were lost. A mount broke. I fell down. Bjørn fell down. It's all part of the game when shooting in the field. But man was it ever a GREAT trip !!!

For what it's worth, here is how I mounted my Baader U in a 52mm -to- 48mm step down ring, using two 'retaining rings' (one in front, and one behind the Baader U glass).

post-87-0-15902500-1453187725.jpg

For what it's worth, here is how I mounted my Baader U in a 52mm -to- 48mm step down ring, using two 'retaining rings' (one in front, and one behind the Baader U glass).

post-87-0-15902500-1453187725.jpg

Hopefully that is how my filter will look like when mounted into the adapter.

I will then put/fix a Cokin 52 filter mount into the flat filter holder this will allow me to screw the filter into it. Then I can flap it up and down to compose and shoot easily.

I will take some photos when it is all working.

Learning all these little things in the startup of UV photography is like starting afresh in film photography.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to get the ring of the Baader undone but I dont have a tool to unscrew the holding ring.

So I have ordered up a set of adapters for the filt the filter and also so I can attach the filter folder to the front of the Componon S but also some others so I can test some of my old Nikon lenses in reversed macro mode.

If you have access to a bench vise and two miniature flat-bladed screwdrivers, it is possible to improvise an unscrewing "jig;" if you space the screwdrivers correctly, it will be impossible for them to contact the filter surface while both are inside the ring. Just place the filter inverted on this setup, engage the slots, and twist gently. The ring should come loose.
The retaining ring of the Baader filters usually isn't held very tight. Put the filter on a flat surface with some resistance towards skidding (a rubber mat or similar), then carefully insert a screwdriver with a narrow flat blade at an angle into the groove on the ring and then tap the driver gently a few times until the ring begins to rotate. Work anti-clockwise to loosening the ring. Reverse the operation when fastening later.

Tried the scissors and screwdrivers approach but no luck.

Bjorn I am more than a bit concerned I might end up damaging my £250 filter! Cleaning a sensor, taking apart a Nikon lens, replacining sensor filter, etc, no problem. Maybe I getting more careful in my old age. ;-)

I will wait for my adapters to arrive.

My last piece arrived today for the jigsaw that allows me to mount my filter.

The final stack mounted on the PB5 looks like this

post-95-0-21334800-1454452169.jpg

The individual components look like this.

post-95-0-33474200-1454452170.jpg

I have two additional adapters and a helicoid coming that allow me to change the back stack so I can put in a helicoid instead of the bellows.

Any comments on the setup.

Anything that I need to consider?

Next steps is to work out the exposure settings I need to use.

I will need to ask these questions in another thread to keep the questioning and answers coherent for other users.

Looks fun! Only comment I have is you might want to hinge the filter holder to the top or the side to keep from hitting the rail and breaking a filter.

Looks fun! Only comment I have is you might want to hinge the filter holder to the top or the side to keep from hitting the rail and breaking a filter.

OK good point.

I can do that fairly easily as the filter holder mount turns.