UltravioletPhotography

Building new UV setup; request for comments

Andy Perrin

Lookin' good, Andy.

Please routinely provide camera + lens + filter + illumination along with your exposure data.

Sometimes when visible white balance is made off of a white object which happens to be in shadows, the WB might be slightly off. This is because shadows naturally carry some colour casts. So the white sign might actually be very, very slightly blue, for example. If you push the sign to white, then your snow gets a little pink. Just for grins, try a WB on the asphalt pavement which is in the sun.

The Visible foto is interesting. Its IR counterpart is a bit overwhelmed by details. Interesting how such things can happen in one wavelength and maybe not in another. Look how much more the Pulsar graffiti stands out in the IR shot. And the No Parking disappears almost. Fun stuff. I think losing the colour must be the thing that changes this scene in a big way. Just a conjecture.

Maybe ease up on the Detail slider in the IR version just a notch? (I've begged Photo Ninja folk for a brush-in capability for that Detail slider. Maybe someday.)

Hah, there is an element of personal taste regarding the Details (and details, lowercase) there, Andrea. I tend to love insanely busy images. One of my favorite painters is Hieronymus Bosch. ;)

I do see what you're saying though — it's not just the details, it's the lack of a clear subject for the image, I think.

I added the camera/lens to the post.

Yes, that's it exactly. In the Vis shot the blue is the focal point which draws the viewer in. In the IR shot our eye wanders all around cause that blue contrast on the red is gone.

I love thinking about photographs.

Bosch +1.