UltravioletPhotography

BEWARE: UV Nikkor 105mm on ebay - tampered with / modified

Alex H

Courtesy of Dr. Klaus. Schmitt, posted with his explicit permission:

There is a UV Nikkor 105mm currently on ebay which has been massively modified / tampered with,

yet the seller is unwilling to warn potential buyers, although Klaus have exchanged a lot with him, incl.

presenting him proof.

It is even unclear if the main optics are still the same and included, as he is unwilling to deliver proof

that it takes images. He has proven though (to Klaus), that focus blocks at 5 meters and cannot be set

to infinity when mounted to a camera body.

Left is Klaus's lens, right the modified one by that seller. Note the protruding rear dark metal part.

post-29-0-51525500-1448023436.jpg

Thank you Alex for passing along Klaus' warning.

Thank you Klaus for making this modification known.

enricosavazzi
The Optical schema of the real UV Nikkor 105 mm uses a rear element placed roughly midway between the front and the rear of the barrel. See http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/special/105UVmm.htm for example. The "UV Nikkor" in question, instead, has a rear element close to the rear lens mount. So we can safely say that Klaus is right and the optics mounted in the barrel of this "UV Nikkor" are not the original ones.

Here is a response from the seller:

Are you referring to the view on the pictures that show extended optics when the lens is on an infinity setting? It does mount to a Nikon camera with no problem (see attached photo) but because it was used with forensic equipment it may have had an additional piece added on the back of the lens that doesn't allow for the full infinity setting when used on a camera without an adapter. I have another person who owns a UV Nikkor UV105 F/4.5 who mentioned that as well. If it is a problem I will either add that information to the listing or remove the listing until I get further clarification.

I will write wrote the seller back and ask whether that "additional piece" can be removed.

Thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I think you should explain the addition on the rear of the lens. Your listing raised a "red flag" on my website UltravioletPhotography.com because this lens did not "look right" to those of us who own it. Our members would want to understand why there was something extra on this lens and how it affected focus. Also, do you know whether that extra piece is removeable?

Thanks again -

Andrea Blum

UltravioletPhotography.com

The seller has updated his listing with information about the additional piece on the mount. Everything is clear now, so any bidder/purchaser should be fully informed.

From the seller:

I have added the revisions to the listing as well as a picture of it mounted on my Nikon camera. I.was told by a man who owns an original that he could remove whatever it is on their that may have been added but Sirchie (the company who makes the Ruvis forensic equipment that it was attached to) told me this morning that it is very unlikely that they ordered it altered from the factory. Since it is from one of their early products they don't know for sure. They now sell their product with a UV60mm lens (probably a Canon).

Added to the Ebay post. The red lettering is from the seller, not me.

On Nov-20-15 at 10:40:14 PST, seller added the following information:

Special Note: This lens was used with a Sirchie Ruvis Krimesite Scope for police forensic use and it comes with a Nikon F - C adapter to fit on the Krimesite Scope that it attaches too. It will fit a regular F mount Nikon, but because I have shown the images with the lens focus set to infinity a couple of watchers have suggested that it will not allow for the full infinity setting when used on a camera without an adapter. I apologize for not putting this in the original listing details but I was not aware of any potential problem. I have updated the listing to include a photo of the lens mounted on my Nikon camera without an adapter, and have added a picture of the F - C adapter as well. If you have already bid on this not knowing this onformation and want to cancel the bid I will certainly understand.

Marlatt Media

OK, then!! This is the first open bid UV-Nikkor I think I've seen. Somebody might get lucky and get this for a price under the going rate for UV-Nikkors if they are not put off by the adaptation. I figure someone could always remove the forensic thingie and remount the lens if necessary.

Klaus has given us some more information. Thank you, Klaus !!!

I asked him whether this modified UV-Nikkor might work on a Sony or Panasonic body?? With an adaptor, the lens would not protrude too far into the Sony/Lumix and no mirror to worry about??

From Dr. Klaus Schmitt:

Unfortunately, the seller did not correctly add what he found out by his own tests he made (initiated by me) and the photos he provided, that the lens in its currently state CANNOT FOCUS TO INFINITY ANYMORE and actually blocks the mirror box at a closest possible focus setting of about 5 meters.

This is what I have also written to him:

I am of the opinion now after quite some research, that your lens has been adapted and modified to fit the needs of that specific RUVIS system made by or for SIRCHIE. I actually doubt that it could be used “as is”, as the optical path and function has been modified for reflected UV photography only AND for it being used with a image amplification tube or plate, which has a smaller entrance pupil of 18mm.

In other words, the lens

a) lost its ability to focus to infinity

B) lost its parfocality (i.e. UV, VIS and IR image are not in the same plane of focus anymore

c) lost its ability to cover a full frame sensor and most likely also APS, but has a very reduced images size now

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually the seller removed the sale thread.

Eventually I will retire this thread to the Tests & Techniques section from here in Announcements. :)