UltravioletPhotography

Surplus - Bandpass Filters, Andover Optics

colinbm

Ok, yeah, I've got a spare $500 dollars (or more) to burn on one stinkin' filter at a time, just for the heck of it.

NOT. :P

That's why for the rest of us folks who are not millionaires ... we've got Ebay vendors under the names omegabob2 or bjomejag, who sell overstock / surplus filters for pennies on the dollar, compared to these corporate sites. :)

(Interesting stuff, though. Thanks, Col.)

Yeah Iggy, I have my eye out for some too, but Omega hasn't got one yet :-((

I too haven't got desperate enough to place an order with Andover either.

Col

Those Andover filters are some fairly specialized, well-made filters. Most of them not really what we need for generic UV photography. But I have been looking for some narrow bandpass filters.

I shudder to think how much I have invested in UV/IR filters. Currently holding 4 BaaderUs, 4 Baader UVIR-Cuts, and one each of PrecisionU, CopperU/CU+, AndreaU, UG11, UG5, UG1, Hoya340, Hoya 360, and Hoya 330. 5 BG filters of various types, 3 S8612s, 6 IR filters of various types, a set of 6 Baader colour filters. Plus assorted odds and ends like an old Venus filter, a little bitty 340AF15 and 293BP10.

How did this happen? What does it all really mean?? Arrghhhh.......

I use narrow-band filters with a 10-nanometer bandwidth (marked with "BP10", which proceeds the wavelength rating on the filter). BP10 seems to be more useful for constructing a "poor man's spectrometer" array for testing the UV-A transmission of lenses (Steve Smeed's "Sparticle" array) ... compared to a "BP2" filter ... which in my opinion becomes too narrow for such tests.

(It would also require one to buy 4 to 5 times as many narrow-band filters to create a lens-testing array to cover the entire UV-A range).

Thus, the net result is that not only would I be paying significantly more money, right out of the gate, for such filters ... but I would even quadruple or quintuple the spending to create a fully-covered UV-A testing array, given the BP2's very narrow bandwidth slice.