UltravioletPhotography

Stand for UV Torch?

I'm looking for stand suggestions for a 3.5cm dia UV torch - something like a double ended alligator clip. Anyone come across something that fits the bill?

Thanks

If it's not too heavy, a Wimberly PClamp might fit the bill. A very handy accessory otherwise so having one is beneficial anyway.

does the torch have tripod threads? If so, a Leiz ballhead + folding mini tripod is a good solution.

Thanks fellas, I have most of these but the problem was the weight of the thing. MTE made me a 3.5W Nichia NVSU333A torch, but the thing is heavier and bigger than I anticipated by a factor of 5 or so. Get this, it has a 15 cm diameter reflector bowl about 1cm thick, made of solid metal :) But I've been able to find one of my crab clamps that goes wide enough so I can mount it.

.....15 cm diameter reflector bowl about 1cm thick, made of solid meta.

WOW! I doubt the little Chinese clamp I suggested would hold that!

Sounds like you need a much heavier clamp, something like a Manfrotto Super Clamp.

post-24-0-20673700-1438200706.jpg

I use one of those to hold an integrating sphere, it is quite strong.

Colin, I haven't played much with it yet but it's big, bulky, takes 3 C-cell batteries and has no central focus reflector. It's obviously brighter than the 2014 chips in the torches but then again the light is spread out. Nm-wise it seems much like the 2014 chips, very clean in the UV spectrum, and picks out fluorescent things well in my study in the evening at twilight. I'll be playing with it for months to come, will do a thread on it when I actually have something useful to add :)

Johan, I think that is what we would call a Giant Hulk of a torch !!! Wow !!!

Something recommended for smaller torches is one of the Astro Arms, but I don't think they would work for this monster.

(Just looked to find that the largest Astro Arm holds up to 1 pound.)

Looking forward to hearing more about this and seeing some fluor fotos made with it.

The astro arms use broadly the same components as a plamp, which I already tried and didn't work. It's too darn heavy. Anyhow the thing I cobbled together seems ok, so thanks everyone for their input.