UltravioletPhotography

Test to see if the Leica Monochrom could capture UV

A Stranger In The Wind

A Stranger In The Wind

I finally got around to testing the capability of the Leica Monochrom capturing ultraviolet. I already knew it had some capabilities with IR.

Not ideal conditions although sunny there was a breeze. I hooked up the Plamp but alas it was attached to the tripod and anytime I went to focus using live view the flower would shake when I touched the lens. Alas this was only a quick test to see if it could. I was using the Coastal Optics, Baeder UV and the Nikon to M adapter.

Without filter ISO320 1/250s.

post-39-0-88106200-1438123194.jpg

A Stranger In The Wind
It appears that the Leica M246 will do UV. Now that I know it is capable I look forward to when I can plan and setup a shot properly. Quick tests such as this was only to see if it could do it. ISO 2500 1/30s.

post-39-0-66800600-1438123416.jpg

Remarkably noise free at those iso's. Congrats! If you can get indoors then those long exposures/wind will be irrelevant. Or get another UV source in addition to the sun and drop that time down. Definitely fun experimenting. Keep it up.

-Damon

Robert, thank you for this interesting assessment of the Leica Monochrom for UV photography.

It isn't clear yet that the camera shoots UV easily because those seem like very high ISOs? But your further tests will sort that out. So we look forward to seeing more.

Added Later: By way of comparison, my unconverted D810 requires a full 2 seconds at ISO-5000 to record a UV scene under the BaaderU using the UV-Nikkor at f/4.5 in very bright sunlight. Clearly, the Leica Mono is leagues ahead of the unconverted D810 in UV capability.

I wonder if the Leica Mono has an internal UV/IR blocker? Or does it just have a weaker UV/IR blocker than the D810?

Robert, if you get a chance, shoot some synthetic black subject - like a camera bag. If the Mono's internal filter is missing or weak, you might see the black colour appear a dark grey or even a light grey if IR is getting through. Of course, the Mono's internal filter might be strong for IR and just weaker for UV because UV won't contaminate a visible photo quite as much (if at all) as would IR.

• 2 weeks later...
A Stranger In The Wind

That is a good question on the UV/IR blocker. The Original Monochrom was based on a Leica M9 which Leica put a stronger UV/IR blocker in as the early M8 models had issues with excess red appearing in images in particular with NIR light. Leica solved part of that problem with filters for the M8.2. The M9 did not come with any filters. The Original Monochrom I know has IR capabilities to somewhere between 720 and 830. One would need a very long exposure to get 830. My previous tests were with the B+W 093 filter was too much for the sensor and I had dark muddy images. I used both the Leica Summilux 50 and a Zeiss 25 ZM/2.0 that one could use rangefinder focusing for and adjusted focus for the Infrared. The Zeiss lens had a red IR dot, the Leica did not, but I found through research it is between F4 and F5.6 on the DOF markings. The B+W 092 worked perfect but there was a light leak with the Zeiss 25 ZM/2.8. I returned it. Did not test it for UV for UV as one can only focus with the rangefinder focus or guess as rangefinder focus only works for Leica M mount lenses.

The MM246 is based on the M240 has live view. I have not tested IR yet but it does work according to Lloyd Chambers. He did not mention if it went further that 720. Based on the Original Monochrom I believe they do some IR/UV blockage. I have also since found out that the Zeiss light leak can be solved wrapping something around the lens and camera. I did a quick test with the Zeiss ZM 35/2.0 and found if I used my film change bag it stopped the light leak. Now I wished I hadn't returned the other lens.

A Stranger In The Wind

I was at the Calgary Zoo today to do some big lens shooting. Thinking of the garden outside I also took the Coastal Optics 60 with me. Forgot that several storms passed through the last couple of weeks. The outdoor garden was majorly damaged by hail. Very few flowers left. Though I did find a few. Once again with the Leica Monochrom M246 Baeder U filter ISO 4000 1/60s F4 or 5.6(Can't recall) EVF focusing and handheld. Didn't have the right tripod with me for shooting macro or closeups.

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/L1000969.jpg

Those gazanias look good, Robert. And handheld, too!

I had the M8 for awhile. Leica provided some hot mirrors for lenses after some complaints were received about the IR contamination. I enjoyed the M8, but was just not a rangefinder kind of shooter. My cousin bought it from me and loves it. The M8 was never as bad as some folks said. I found the images quite good. Granted, the later digital Ms are better.

I'm happy Leica added Live View, so I might give Leica a try again eventually, particularly the Monochrom. I kept my 'Lux 50.

A Stranger In The Wind

Thanks Andrea.

Live view makes a big difference. Though I don't mind traditional rangefinder focusing when shooting at F5.6 to F8, anything below is always a hit and miss for me. It took me a year and a half to decide on getting the original Monochrom as a shooter of IR and UV I wanted a pure black and white camera but it was a decision I kept going back and forth on. Once bought I was hooked. Only have 4 lenses for it Voigtlander 15, Zeiss 35/2, Lux 50 and Apo 90/2. I found I used it a lot more than anticipated. I put my order in for the MM246 the day it was announced as it added Live View and video. With that I can now happily shoot other lenses on it, given I have adapters for Nikon F, Canon FD, Leica R and Canon EOS lenses. It's a real bonus I can shoot UV.

One disappointment at the zoo. UV shots inside the conservancy building. It turns out the glass they use seems to block a lot of UV lightwaves. Whereas outside I was shooting handheld indoors in the conservancy the histogram was completely to the left and the images turned out totally black. I will have to try again when it is not as busy and try a long exposure to see if any UV get through the glass as well as take my IS-Pro and/or 5D II modified for full spectrum to see if they have any better luck.

The nice thing about the M246 live view (I was using the much maligned EVF) is it adjusts so I can see what I am shooting clear as day. Though in the conservancy it remained very dark. Compared with all my other cameras Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm and Sony the Leica live view seems to be the best at brightening up for live view with the EVF. Although Live view is not too bad, in the brightness of the day there is too much glare on the bodies live view and unless shaded it isn't as useful compared to my other cameras.

I would say your "only 4 lenses" are a pretty cool set indeed. :lol:

Even though we can set Monochrome mode on our Nikons and see it in Live View so that for all intents & purposes we are shooting a B&W camera, there is still something very appealing about the Leica Monochrom. With no Bayer filter, it seems more 'authentic' somehow. The photos I've seen from it are quite nice and that, of course, is all that matters. :lol:

I think I would take the full spec 5DII next time because it probably has a broader sensitivity to UV than the IS-Pro (which was reported by Fuji to reach only 380nm or so) and that might help indoors??