UltravioletPhotography

Ideal Flora/Fauna Conditions for UVIVF Photography

I may have read somewhere that if certain flora are photographed under certain conditions (ex. certain stage of growth, whether it is dry or watered, whether the plant has been in the sun or in the shade, etc.), that the fluorescence may be more colorful and brighter under those conditions than compared to other conditions.

The same idea could be brought about for animals/fauna too, like turtles and snails (when they are dead or are in the water/sun/shade, do they look fluoresce differently?)

Does anyone have an examples to show?

I'm mainly talking about naturally occurring conditions, and not artificial ones, such as adding fluorescein to the water source of a flower and having the fluorescein absorbed inside the petals, however if anyone has done that I'd love to see your example. It could be cool to find out a way to do that with different colors...

Evan, this time I gots nothin' for ya !!

But I'm going to point Bjørn to this question as he may have a bit of experience photographing stages of growth in plant life.

We do know that in some flowers the reflected UV appearance changes with age. Myosotis (Forget-me-not) is the classic example. So it certainly makes sense that a plant's fluorescent appearance could also change with age. Some nectaries are fluorescent, for example. After pollination, it is possible the nectary could dry up and become less fluorescent? Just speculating here.

Also, there are some aerial studies of crops and forests in Infrared which attempt to show changes brought on by the stress of drought conditions in a region.

It is always good to try to set up an experiment and see what you discover.

Well, I hope you have at least been getting some answers to some of your queries!

I have noticed a change in some vegetation. This is anecdotal until I go get some pics but some dead veg sometimes seems to fluoresce very brightly/whitish when compared to alive. I am referring to some of my vegetable garden plants which have lots of dead leaves etc as they age as well as stuff in my woods. I will get a few pics asap.

I remember last year when I was roving my property like a deranged UV Josey Wales with 2 Blak-Rays on my hips like hand guns all the while cursing at my entanglement in extension cords-- I was coming across bright vegetation that was glowing on plants that had zero fluorescence otherwise. Ahh the good ole days.

-D

I ain't promising you nothing extra ......

One thing is for sure, those who look where others have not may see things others have overlooked.

Shine your light into the darkness,

there is no ideal

you guyz !! u r makin' me lol.....

Maybe we should adopt a motto: Shine your (alternate wavelength) light into the darkness.

Or should it be: Shine your U-Vee into the dark.