UltravioletPhotography

UVIVF Landscapes and Interior Environments

It would be cool if you could get a big bright omnidirectional light source peaked at 365nm with no visible light leak, and put barrier filtered goggles over your eyes (...wait, wouldn't that be unnecessary considering humans can only see visible light? I meant just regular UV safety goggles) to experience and navigate an entire room or environment under UVIVF.

I've also been wanting to light paint landscapes at night - do you have any recommendations for light sources for something like that? A 365nm speedlight flash could work well, but if such a thing cannot be obtained, then some sort of really bright 365nm flashlight could also work (something that is ~500-1500 lumens). I've tried light painting trees with the 5W MTE UV LED and it can kinda work but not really.

See threads here on UVP about the Bowen Monolight or the Blak-Ray lamp. I think either could be used for light painting? Blak-Rays have some vis leakage (see thread below) but should be useful for light painting.

Here is the thread telling all about Blak-Ray Lamps. There are a lot of posted examples in threads by member Damon using the Blak-Ray lamp.

Blak-Ray B-100 AP Lamp for UV and UVIVF

Remember not everything fluoresces, so sometimes there is nothing much to see when light painting indoors with UV. Somtimes all you get is fluorescing dust motes and fluorescing fabrics/papers which have optical brighteners. Or fluorescent reminders of cast off human "bodily fluids", to put it politely.

Same goes for outdoors at night. Bits and pieces of outdoor "stuff" will fluoresce but much will not.

Keep messing with me John and I will cobble together my vast army of Blak-Rays and point them in your direction...

Just keep an eye to the night sky to see my signal.

Pylon--Such lights are available but as with many things--if you have the $$ you can ride the edge of the wave. This may do some damage but I have not tried it. http://www.blacklightsusa.com/blacklights42.html

Put ten together around a central tube to hold and you could light up your yard I would imagine.

-D

Bill De Jager
Monolights by definition are flash units so they would not be suitable for light painting.
Bill, you are of course correct - and thank you. I have amended my posts referring to monolights. Not sure what I was thinking!!

Well, a monolight could still be used like a speedlight for the basic idea I had in mind (UVIVF night landscapes), although it wouldn't be as easy to put in your hand while moving around and flashing the landscape like a speed-light would.

I just used the phrase 'light painting' to refer to a long shutter speed to obtain 1 long exposure, or multiple exposures stacked as layers, whether flashes or continuous lights were used as the light source - just my own nuance

Probably the most traditional/common definition of "light painting" would be one single long exposure lit with moving continuous lighting

Bill De Jager
Andrea, you should see my recent mistakes! Actually, you won't unless I make them on this site. :rolleyes:
  • 1 month later...
I believe I have seen light painting with a flash. One just walks around in the scene during a time exposure and fires a handheld unit at various targets, preferably while wearing dark clothing. With luck, the flashes show up whereas the person holding the flash does not.