UltravioletPhotography

365nm UV Flash?

My WEIN safe sync package specifies that it reduces up to 400V down to 6V. Were your low voltage problems with flash units with a trigger voltage <6V? You confirm a Canon 6V limit, interesting that the old 199A is <6V.

If I understand the specs right, then Wein's sync safe reduces trigger circiuts of flash units with voltages up to 400V.

The output voltage to the cam doesn't eceed 6V.

>>>The problem appears if the trigger voltage of the flash is very low. The reason is that the adaptor has no own power supply and it's electronics (the wein sync's) is fed by the trigger circuit of the connected flash.

This trigger circuits are not designed to deliver high currents...<<<

EDIT: NOT TRUE!

I connected a flash with extreme low trigger voltage of 1.81V (Minolta Program 2800AF "Maxxum") and low trigger current of 0.11mA to my Wein Sync.

The adaptor delivered only 1.57V to the cam (Olympus EPL1) but it worked very well!

Down to 1/250s there was no trigger delay visible. So the low trigger voltage of the flash is not the reason for trigger delays when using this WEIN adaptor.

Possibly the cam's electronics is in some cases but I could not simulate this malfunction. So the upper part of my posting between >>> and <<< is NONSENSE!

BTW, I am using an old clear "UV" filter as a heat absorption filter just in case, but you already did the newspaper test JCDowdy so this is probably not necessary, but I figure why not? It wouldn't hurt.
nope, I've tested it by shining a 365nm uv led through the clear uv filter, and then recording the light with a full-spectrum camera with the Baader-U on the front of it, and there is no noticeable difference in light quality.

I measured the SB-140 and it doesn't go above 5v. Put the red electrode inside center PC-sync socket and black on the outer edge. Measured around 4.1 constantly when resting while turned on if I remember correctly, then when flashed the number goes down then comes back up again after charging, so I think I measured it correctly.

So: SB-140 doesn't go above 5v, Canon 199A doesn't go above 6v.

All Nikon DSLRs are safe as long as voltage is below 250v, and newer Canon DSLRs are also rated up to 250v, older ones were at 6v.

So everything is all good, no need for a Wein safe sync unless you wanted to convert the PC-Sync socket connector into a hotshoe foot connector.

enricosavazzi

Anyone know if the Canon 199A flash can be used on Nikon DSLRs? May seem silly, but it IS a Canon flash and not Nikon...

With the Canon flash in manual mode and the Nikon camera in manual (M) exposure mode and a reasonable exposure time for flash sync, it should not be a problem. The correct exposure must be found by trial and error, which is simpler than it sounds. Automatic flash exposure mode through the flash built-in photocell, at least in theory, also works. In practice, in macrophotography, it makes no sense even trying. The 199A flash does not have TTL capabilities as far as I know, and the TTL protocols are different between Canon and Nikon, so flash TTL with a Canon flash and a Nikon DSLR would not work in any case.

I'll try it later. If it doesn't work, I've found that putting a piece of paper between the two non-middle pins to block the connection works, so the only pin connected to the hotshoe is the middle one.

For some reason I can't edit my original post, so here is this:

List of strobes/speedlight that can be used for emitting UV-only radiation. Hopefully I'll update this list. Ideally, the list would have the following information for each listing so we can easily make comparisons:

VIS guide number, filter solution, price, encumberment rating, rarity rating, trigger voltage.

Nnone of these are that rare besides the SB-140, trigger voltage. If anyone would like to help me make the guide numbers consistant for the first six listings, please do. I've just copied/pasted sources from the internet in red.

Nikon SB-140, rare, comes with UV/VIS/IR filters, but UV filter is not a true UV-only filter, it leaks some VIS and a ton of IR, but produces fair UVIVF results when IR/UV cut filter is on lens (see previous example on this thread), and the VIS filter is not a true VIS filter, it leaks IR. Even the IR filter leaks some VIS too, I think. Unit is cumbersome but can apparently work with the smaller Nikon SD-8 battery pack, PC-Sync port only, no hotshoe. ~$2000. trig voltage >5vGuide number: 32 (105) @ ISO 100

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xcanon+199a.TRS0&_nkw=canon+199a&_sacat=0" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">

Canon 199A, works just like any popular small speedlight, widely available, easy to remove freshnel lens and then add Baader-U or any other glass UV-only filtration (see picture in this thread), not very powerful, but powerful enough for closeup photography at ~ISO 6400, $20 without UV-only filtration. trig voltage: >6v. Guide Number: 98@ISO100???

Vivitar 285HV,

<a class="bbc_url" href="

rel="nofollow external" title="External link">needs to be modded</a>.

Regular speedlight with hotshoe. Similar ones are

<a class="bbc_url" href="

rel="nofollow external" title="External link">Vivitar 283</a>

or 285. ~$60. Guide Number of 141 at ISO 100 and 105mm

Metz Mecablitz 45 CT-1, <span style="color: #ff0000">guide number is 145@?so this is bright. Needs to be modded I think, not sure how to do that yet. Emcumberment is not high like the the SB-140, but not low like the Canon 199A or Vivitar 285HV. <span style="font-family: verdana,sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 12px;">The old 45CT1 is listed on botzilla.com as having trigger voltage up at 600v, though someone else said they measured it at 163v. The newer 45CL1 apparently has lower trigger voltage. $20-$100.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.qtm.com/index.php/products/qflash/uv-ir-flash" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">Quantum QFlash + QF80 adapterthat accepts regular screw-on filters in front of the light, brightest speedlight available but looks cumbersome, Guide number is 160(!) or 320(!!) with tele reflector $600-$1300</span> "Guide No. ISO 100 ft. (m) normal lens coverage"

Broncolor Pulso + <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599765-REG/Broncolor_33_626_00_UV_Attachment.html" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">UV attachment</a>. Strobe. $400 used + $1600 special order for UV attachment. <span style="color: #ff0000">Guidenumber?</span></li>

Bowens 500R, Bowens 1500Pro and (untested but most likely to work because they use the same tubes) all other Bowens R series and Pro series with uncoated flash tubes. All these units come factory equipped with coated tubes, which are not so good for UV photography. Uncoated tubes must be ordered as replacement parts/accessories from Bowens, and can be installed by the user.

Einstein E640 ideally used with the front uv-coated bulbous glass element detached + uv-only filter. $500. Strobe does emit UV+VIS light completely unmodifed, see previous example images in this thread. guide number is 219 with 7" reflector

Metz 60, one of the brightest available speedlights but I am not sure how easy it is to modify for UV.... $100

older, non-code version that doesn't have has much information:

List of strobes/speedlight that can be used for emitting UV-only radiation:

(Hopefully I'll update this list... Ideally, the list would have the following information for each listing so we can easily make comparisons: guide number, filter solution, price, encumberment rating, rarity rating)

• Nikon SB-140, rare, UV filter is not a true UV-only filter, it leaks VIS and IR light, but produces fair UVIVF results when IR/UV cut filter is on lens (see previous example on this thread), cumbersome but can apparently work with the smaller Nikon SD-8 battery pack, ~$2000

• Canon 199A, works just like any popular small speedlight, widely available, easy to remove freshnel lens and then add Baader-U or any other glass UV-only filtration, not very powerful, but powerful enough for macro photography at ~ISO 6400, $20 without UV-only filtration

• Vivitar 285HV,
    . Similar ones are
    or 285. ~$60

• Metz Mecablitz 45 CT-1, guide number is 145, needs to be modded?

• Quantum QFlash + QF80 adapter that accepts regular screw-on filters in front of the light, brightest speedlight available but looks cumbersome, Guide number is 160 or 320 with tele reflector, $600-$1300 "Guide No. ISO 100 ft. (m) normal lens coverage"

• Broncolor Pulso + UV attachment. Strobe. $400 used + $1600 special order for UV attachment.

• Einstein E640 ideally with the front uv-coated glass element detached + uv-only filter. $500. strobe DOES emit UV+VIS light completely unmodifed, look at previous example in this thread

• Metz 60, one of the brightest available speedlights but I am not sure how easy it is to modify for UV.... $100

Great stuff Pylon.

Just throwing this out there:

I have been using 3 modified Vivitar 285HV's for a while now and have found them adequate for all my UV needs. They all still work. I have not tried or filtered them for UVIVFL though.

Forget about all the modification videos and their ilk. I modified all 3 of mine in under 5 minutes without taking a single thing apart. Heat up a heavy duty razor knife and just melt around the very edges of the outside yellowed plastic and remove it. Done. I use some cheap wireless triggers that rotate if needed and everything works well.

http://www.ultraviol...y-uv-kit-damon/

You could by some cheap used Blak-Rays B-100A (if you look long enough you will find them) and take out the huge woods glass (or whatever I am supposed to call it nowadays) and cut it to fit around the flash. Would be a fun project. Yes John, I am bringing up the Blak-Rays again. :)

-D

enricosavazzi

For some reason I can't edit my original post, so here is this:

(Hopefully I'll update this list... Ideally, the list would have the following information for each listing so we can easily make comparisons: guide number, filter solution, price, encumberment rating, rarity rating)

• Nikon SB-140, rare, UV filter is not a true UV-only filter, it leaks VIS and IR light, but produces fair UVIVF results when IR/UV cut filter is on lens (see previous example on this thread), cumbersome but can apparently work with the smaller Nikon SD-8 battery pack, PC-Sync port only, no hotshoe. ~$2000
  • [...]

If you want to include studio strobes, you can add:

Bowens 500R, Bowens 1500Pro and (untested but most likely to work because they use the same tubes) all other Bowens R series and Pro series with uncoated flash tubes. All these units come factory equipped with coated tubes, which are not so good for UV photography. Uncoated tubes must be ordered as replacement parts/accessories from Bowens, and can be installed by the user.

If you want to include studio strobes, you can add:

Added. I'm thinking any strobe or flash can be used for UV, but uncoating the tube can be more time consuming than finding a unit that just has a freshnel lens, and finding a filter solution is the hard part for strobes, because the light source is so large and potentially has wider coverage depending on what light modifier/reflector is being used.

enricosavazzi

Added. I'm thinking any strobe or flash can be used for UV, but uncoating the tube can be more time consuming than finding a unit that just has a freshnel lens, and finding a filter solution is the hard part for strobes, because the light source is so large and potentially has wider coverage depending on what light modifier/reflector is being used.

With the Bowens, you don't scrape the coating off the tube (which would probably leave microscopic scratches that make the tube more likely to explode). You simply replace the tube with a non-coated one, which takes under five minutes. The tubes are not cheap, though (200-250 USD for the Pro tube, less than half that for the R tube).

Several companies sell uncoated Xenon flash tubes, which you just pop into your studio flash head. For example, see the listings at http://www.xenonflashtubes.com . Prices aren't too bad and in fact the uncoated ones are the cheapest.

Besides my Broncolor Minicom studio flashes, I have used Hensels with excellent UV results.

My Norman 200B works fine in UV. There is a uncoated Flashtube attached to LH2 Head. It's battery powered (rechageable NiMh) and has selecteable 50/100/200Ws.

There is a Norman 400 availeable but I never tested that.

A Metz 45CTxy has lot of power, 110Ws (GN in meters 45 at 100 ISO) and a very even illuminated area. And it is still very handy.

• 1 month later...

(Hopefully I'll update this list... Ideally, the list would have the following information for each listing so we can easily make comparisons: VIS guide number, filter solution, price, encumberment rating, rarity rating (none of these are that rare besides the SB-140), trigger voltage). If anyone would like to help me make the guide numbers consistant for the first six listings, please do. I've just copied/pasted sources from the internet in red.

• Nikon SB-140, rare, comes with UV/VIS/IR filters, but UV filter is not a true UV-only filter, it leaks some VIS and a ton of IR, but produces fair UVIVF results when IR/UV cut filter is on lens (see previous example on this thread), and the VIS filter is not a true VIS filter, it leaks IR. Even the IR filter leaks some VIS too, I think. Unit is cumbersome but can apparently work with the smaller Nikon SD-8 battery pack, PC-Sync port only, no hotshoe. ~$2000. trig voltage >5v. Guide number: 32 (105) @ ISO 100
  • Canon 199A, works just like any popular small speedlight, widely available, easy to remove freshnel lens and then add Baader-U or any other glass UV-only filtration (see picture in this thread), not very powerful, but powerful enough for closeup photography at ~ISO 6400, $20 without UV-only filtration. trig voltage: >6v. Guide Number: 98@ISO100???
  • Vivitar 285HV,
    . Regular speedlight with hotshoe. Similar ones are
    or 285. ~$60. Guide Number of 141' at ISO 100 and 105mm
  • Metz Mecablitz 45 CT-1, guide number is 145@? so this is bright. Needs to be modded I think, not sure how to do that yet. Emcumberment is not high like the the SB-140, but not low like the Canon 199A or Vivitar 285HV. The old 45CT1 is listed on botzilla.com as having trigger voltage up at 600v, though someone else said they measured it at 163v. The newer 45CL1 apparently has lower trigger voltage. $20-$100.
  • Quantum QFlash + QF80 adapter that accepts regular screw-on filters in front of the light, brightest speedlight available but looks cumbersome, Guide number is 160(!) or 320(!!) with tele reflector, $600-$1300 "Guide No. ISO 100 ft. (m) normal lens coverage"
  • Broncolor Pulso + UV attachment. Strobe. $400 used + $1600 special order for UV attachment. Guidenumber?
  • Bowens 500R, Bowens 1500Pro and (untested but most likely to work because they use the same tubes) all other Bowens R series and Pro series with uncoated flash tubes. All these units come factory equipped with coated tubes, which are not so good for UV photography. Uncoated tubes must be ordered as replacement parts/accessories from Bowens, and can be installed by the user.
  • Einstein E640 ideally used with the front uv-coated bulbous glass element detached + uv-only filter. $500. Strobe does emit UV+VIS light completely unmodifed, see previous example images in this thread. guide number is 219 with 7" reflector
  • Metz 60, one of the brightest available speedlights but I am not sure how easy it is to modify for UV.... $100

Contrary to what B+H claims in the advert, the UV attachment for Broncolor studio flashes (it fits the MiniCom series as well) emits lots of IR. I briefly tested it and saw no obvious advantage of paying this much for a pretty useless accessory. Must have been developed with film-based photography in mind? Besides the heavy IR output, you cannot use ordinary flash reflectors and other studio gear with it.

Metz 45CT1 has a GN of 45 in m and 147 in feet. Energy is about 110Ws. Beautiful wide beam, absolutely smoth and even illumination (in vis). Absolute beautiful, useful and versatile units! But:

Triger voltage is dependent. Early ones have 210 Volts and later built ones have 10V.

They all suffer from defective capacitors. I have 4 of them with defective capacitors on my desk. These capacitors are 1700µF 360/385V so common capacitors with 330-350V will fail (or even explode) after some use. Metz spare capacitors are availeable but around 50Eur. Unfortunately spare capacitors for studio flashes do not fit inside the housing. Only if one uses an external battery pack.

So a Metz 45CL4 is the better choice!

Metz 45CL4 vs Metz 45CT1

Do they have roughly the same specs? Do you have a Metz 45CL4 and have you modified it before for UV or full-spectrum?