UltravioletPhotography

UV Lenses: cut-off at 220nm vs 310nm. What is the difference?

CoastalOpt UV-VIS-IR lens transmission stops at 290nm, and apochromatic focus correction stops at 310 apparently

CoastalOpt UV-VIS lens transmission apparently cuts off at 250nm

The Nikkor UV 105 cuts off at 220nm

Does anyone have any photos comparing each lens photographing the same material under the same conditions, so we can see the difference? (mainly wondering about the Nikkor vs. Coastal Opt UV-VIS-IR).

We really cannot shoot and record with our converted cameras below 300nm, so no one has anything to show. Remember these lenses are primarily for laboratory or manufacturing work, not photography. They have specs well beyond what a typical UV photographer might need.

There is also the small matter of finding any UV light sources for wavelengths around 300nm.

Most modified cameras are thought to be able to record down to 300-320nm. But it gets tough starting around 330nm or so. I've never been able to get anything much with my modded D600 + UV-Nikkor using a 293BP10.

The primary difference between the UV-Nikkor (both the old version and in the currently-manufactured Tochigi version) and the Coastal 60 is that the UV-Nikkor has a bit of IR shift (should you choose to shoot IR with it) while the Coastal 60 does not. Neither lens has Vis-UV shift, of course.

Bjørn thinks the Coastal 60 is a bit sharper, but I'm not so sure. It depends on the copy, perhaps.