UltravioletPhotography

Nano Technology & Structural Colour

colinbm

My adult sons are interested in advancing their careers into nano technology & nano robotics.

I was watching this really interesting doco on nano technology & robotics, it covers a vast array of topics briefly.

There are too many wows & WTF moments.

This one at 36 minutes was a gob smacker for me.

I had known that coloured glass filters were an alchemists dream of glassmaking secrets, but this one took the cake & it is over a thousand years old. Stained glass windows............

Element, size, shape & temperature, all go together to decide the colour the glass takes on......just brilliant !

I have to know more.........Structural Colour.

Cheers

Col

Col,

Interesting find. That use of nanoparticles is the basis for my patent on camouflage in the ultraviolet spectrum. see http://uvrdefensetech.com/index.php?home

By using different ceramic oxide nanoparticles, usually in the range of 10-40nm in diameter, in a very thin film, our nanocompounds can reflect the percentage of UV that we want -- 7%, 22%, or 80%, while remaining transparent to visible light and NIR.

Very interesting paper about structural colour and iridescence!

The most spectacular examples Bjørn and I found on the Desert Wildflower Safari were the various desert poppies (eschscholzia species). Their iridescence caused them to "wink" black and white - almost like signaling with shiny metal or a mirror.

Reed, interesting about your patent!