UltravioletPhotography

Cichorium intybus [Common Chicory]: Another Example

Andrea B.

Blum, A. G. (2015) Cichorium intybus L (Asteraceae) Common Chicory. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1427-cichorium-intybus-common-chicory-another-example/

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

18 June 2015

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Blue Daisy
  • Coffee Weed

Primary Pigment:  Delphinidin, a sub-category of the Anthocyanins in the Flavonoids group.

Comment:

Cichorium intybus is quite a tough weed in New Jersey where it can be found flourishing in deserted lots, in the medians of the busiest streets and along the edges of parking lots. The rays exhibit a lot of iridescent sheen in UV light. UV-dark areas include the central bullseye and some ray veining.

Chalwatzis (2013) first showed a European C. intybus in ultraviolet(2). Here is a North American example which also exhibits the same appearence in Ultraviolet.

Reference:

1. New England Wild Flower Society (2015) Cichorium intybus L. Chicory. https://gobotany.new...horium/intybus/

2. Chalwatzis, N. (2013) Cichorium intybus L. (Asteraceae) Common Chicory. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light, including simulated bee colours. http://www.ultraviol...common-chicory/

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/16 for 1/1.3" @ ISO-200 with Onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

cichoriumIntybus_visflash_20151806mtNJ_34141pnPfv5.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/16 for 15" @ ISO-20 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

The exposure was held for 15" to enable multiple flashes for more even lighting.

cichoriumIntybus_visflash_20151806mtNJ_34175pf.jpg

My own photos of C. intybus (France and Norway, not published), are virtually identical to those shown here.

nice. I had some, done by D70 many years ago and looked the same. I wonder if the center would give me green or blue with insect vision filters? they are not blooming yet here in Michigan.

I see Niko has done the channel seperation and recombined photo to simulate bee vision. I wonder if this would always match the filtered (s8612+UG5, for example) version?

Andrea, I still do not understand why the daisy I shot would be cyan, not green since it was totally black in UV and white in visible version. I thought it should be greenish.

Let's see......If the daisy rays are UV-absorbing and visibly white, then that would be -UV+B+G+R,

so the bee's blue and green receptors would be stimulated.

And B+G = Cyan.

That is assuming a pure white flower, however. Most white flowers do not reflect equal amounts of B, G and R. For example, many white flowers have a hint of yellow or cream colours - more like b+G+R. If there is slightly more yellow than blue, then the Bee Vision tint could shift off the cyan towards the green.

I do not think you can hope for either precision or accuracy with so many variables at play in the creation of Bee Vision colour photographs. At best they are only a suggestion of what we might find were we to perform actual spectral measurements of the flowers and attempt to map that to Bee Vision. Nevertheless, it is enjoyable and interesting to attempt these photographic models of Bee Vision. ;)

BTW, Chittka and some colleagues did an experiment like that. They measured the flowers and then grouped them into Bee Vision colours. I'll put up a note about this elsewhere because this is a formal Chicory thread.