UltravioletPhotography

Neottia nidus-avis [Bird's-nest Orchid]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2015. Neottia nidus-avis (L.) Rich. (Orchidaceae). Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

Neottia nidus-avis (L.) Rich.

NO: Fuglereir

SE: Nästrot

DK: Rederod

FI: Pesäjuuri

DE: Nestwurz

GB: Bird's-nest Orchid

Neottia nidus-avis is a medium sized saphrophytic orchid, found in rich forests over large areas of Europe and adjacent parts of Russia. It entirely lacks chlorophyll and the flowering shots are a medium dark brown in appearance, making it sometimes difficult to spot on the floors of dense, dark woods. The flowers lack a spur, unlike most orchids.

Plants photographed at Slap Savica, Bohinja Bistricta, Slovenia 7 June 2015. They were occurring in an old beech forest.

NEOT_NID_G1506075642_VIS.jpg

Image reference: NEOT_NID_G1506075642_VIS

Visible light: Nikon Df, Voigtländer 125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar lens

NEOT_NID_G1506072420_UV.jpg

Image reference: NEOT_NID_G1506072420_UV

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D3200 (built-in Baader U2" filter), Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, SB-140 flash

[ Published 7 June 2015 ]

So interesting! Somewhat like the Monotropa & Orobanche which lack also chlorophyll. But I wonder why this particular one is classified as an Orchid?

Because it belongs to the Orchidaceae .... Other saphrophytic orchids are Corallorrhiza and Epipogum. All of these saphrophytic orchids have just taken the orchid way of symbiosis with fungi a step further.

Recent taxonomic research has shown Neottia should include former Listera (Twayblade) species as well.

The UV-blue colour is very interesting. When you look at the Pterostylis(Greenhood) species that I have posted the non-green transparent areas show a similar UV-blue colour.

Dave

Andrea: Why this particular one is classified as an Orchid?

Bjørn: Because it belongs to the Orchidaceae.

Oh la !! This is one of our typical exchanges. Sometimes it takes Bjørn and me Three (3) Trys before we sort out what is being asked and answered. Anyway, it gave me a chuckle. :D

I was trying to ask why this particular saprophytic, cholorophyll-less plant called the Bird's Nest Orchid, is a member of family Orchicaceae and not Monotropa's Ericaceae family or Orobanche's Orobanchaceae family.

It would seem at initial glance that N. nidus-avis has more in common with the Monotropa or Orobanche posted elsewhere. Alternately one could also ask why these latter two are not considered Orchids.

But -- "initial glances", of course, do not reveal the details of structure or DNA which puts a particular plant into a particular classification.

I am not the first to have observed that there are similarities.

http://www.first-nature.com/flowers/~orobanchaceae.php

"If you spend a lot of time hunting for and photographing wild orchids, you cannot fail to notice broomrapes: in many cases they share the same habitats as orchids, and at first glance their appearance is very similar indeed to some orchid species."

It has the flower structure of an Orchid and the pollination mechanism of an Orchid and the minute seeds of an Orchid and the symbiotic relationship with fungi as Orchids .... and so on. So no surprise it also is an Orchid and not a Broomrape (the latter, by the way, are true parasites not symbionts).

External similarity is less important in taxonomy than assumed by a layman. This is called convergent evolution and has developed many times with entirely different organisms. Thus, the cactus growth form and functionality of northern America is mimicked by Euphorbia and Lobelia species in Africa.