UltravioletPhotography

Waiting for my new DSLR

ecliptique

ecliptique

Hello !

I'm waiting for my new unfiltred DSLR (maybe a Nikon D800) to replace my Nikon D3. During this time, I try to do some pictures with UVIR cut filter and U2 Baader filter with max synchro speed (to eliminate IR contamination) and flash (modified SB24). The lens is a 105mm El nikkor.

In my garden, I've found this flower. It's seem a good subjet for UV ! I'm sorry but I don't know anything about botanic.

post-73-0-54507400-1433592829.jpg

post-73-0-96007900-1433592845.jpg

ecliptique

Thank you. I hope to have better results with the new camera.

Here is another specimen. I use focus stacking for UV version.

post-73-0-99054100-1433595011.jpg

post-73-0-68630300-1433595025.jpg

If you are based in France and pick a yellow-flowered weed in your garden, the odds are firmly set for this to be Potentilla reptans (Rosaceae). The UV signature shown here agrees completely with this assumption as well.
ecliptique
Yes, it's the same flower. I don't have any specific UV lens (I hope to find second hand lens someday) but my photographic result seem very near of your picture with UV 105mm...

The older version of the 105 EL-Nikkor is reported as a good UV-capable lens.

You have indeed properly captured the UV-signature of the Potentilla.

I like the Tomato flower. It is very interesting in UV. Other Solanum I've photographed so far are not dark in the center like that.

ecliptique

Other Solanum I've photographed so far are not dark in the center like that. -> I'll try to do some other pictures of another tomatoes varieties to see if the center is alway the same dark color.

Another couple of photographies : Oeillet, in French, with a very patient fly...

post-73-0-41332000-1433619795.jpg

post-73-0-47191100-1433619811.jpg

Cool - you got a fly in UV. :)

This flower is from genus Dianthus. I like the French name which translates as "Eyelet" (small eye). It has an interesting UV signature. These flowers are often called "Pinks" in the US - for their colours obviously. "-)

BTW, I was wrong about my Solanum photographs!! They do have a dark center. I did not remember correctly.