UltravioletPhotography

Podophyllum peltatum [Mayapple]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2015) Podophyllum peltatum L. (Berberidaceae) Mayapple. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1405-podophyllum-peltatum-mayapple/

Scherman Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary, Bernardsville, NJ, USA

5, 7 25 May 2010

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Anapodophyllum peltatum Moench
  • American Mandrake
  • Wild Mandrake

Comment: (Some portions of this post were originally published on Fotozones 09 May 2010.)

This Podophyllum peltatum was found in the beech woods of Scherman Hoffman Wildlife Sanctuary in New Jersey. Each plant has two leaves and only one blossom which grows from the fork of the leaf stems. The greenish-yellow fruit - which you can just begin to see in the center of the plant - is edible when mature, but the rest of the plant may be toxic.

Mayapple is the only example of Podophyllum in North America. It is found in the woodlands of eastern Canada and eastern US. Pollination is performed by bumblebees and other long-tongued bees. The plant has many medicinal uses among Native Americans. Modern research has produced an anti-cancer drug from one of the plant's chemicals.

Reference:

1. Flora of North America Online (2015) Podophyllum peltatum, Vol. 3, FNA, New York & Oxford. http://www.efloras.o...on_id=233500972

I looked under the Mayapple's big leaves to shoot the flower and this White Slantline Moth (Tetracis cachexiata) and I scared each other. A white moth on white blossom makes for a great camouflage. The moth flew away but was soon back and I grabbed the foto while I could. I could not find a reference for P. peltatum as a larval food plant for T. cachexiata, but there is more than one photo online of this pair so there is some attraction for the moth.

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/40" @ ISO-800 with Nikon D3S + Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro-Nikkor]

This photo had to be considerably brightened because I shot without fill-flash.

podophyllumPeltatumAndWhiteSlantLineMothVis050710schermanHoffmanNJ_7543origpn.jpg

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Carl Zeiss 60mm f/4.0 UV-Planar]

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/30" @ ISO-500 with Onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

The central light green ovary eventually becomes the Mayapple fruit. The cluster at the top is formed from the stigmas.

podophyllumPeltatumVisFlash050710schermannHoffmanNJ_orig01.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 1/10" @ ISO-400 with Nichia 365nm UV-LED and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

The light green ovary is UV-absorbing while the stigma cluster is mostly UV-reflective.

podophyllumPeltatum365UV050710schermannHoffmanNJ_41771pf2.jpg

In UV light, the flower is very 'shiny' producing a lot of UV bounce the location of which depends on the angle of the light, of course. The next two examples show how this iridescence varies. It was difficult to photograph this flower under its leaf unbrellas with a small UV-Led torch. And with the old D200 (since replaced), high-ISO was quite noisy.

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/15" @ ISO-400 with Nichia 365nm UV-LED and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Here the light was directed into the center of the flower.

podophyllumPeltatum365UV050710schermannHoffmanNJ_41749pf.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/15" @ ISO-500 with Nichia 365nm UV-LED and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Here the light was directed at an angle from above.

podophyllumPeltatum365UV050710schermannHoffmanNJ_41689pf.jpg

Visible Light [f/7.1 for 1/100" @ ISO-1250 with Nikon D3S + Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro-Nikkor]

A couple of weeks later the petals have fallen off and the Mayapple begins to grow larger.

podophylumPeltatum052510schermannHoffmanNJ_8521pf.jpg

Visible Light [f/5.6 for 1/2000" @ ISO-1250 with Nikon D3S + Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro-Nikkor]

Podophyllum leaves, either 5- or 6-lobed.

podophyllumPeltatumLeafVis050510schermanHoffmanNJ_7266pf.jpg