UltravioletPhotography

Rosa rugosa [Beach Rose]: Another Example

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2015) Rosa rugosa Thunb. (Rosaceae) Beach Rose. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet, visible and infrared light. http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1387-rosa-rugosa-saltspray-rose-another-example/

Gateway National Recreation Area, Sandy Hook Unit, New Jersey, USA

23 May 2015

Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Saltspray Rose
  • Japanese Rose

Comment: Rørslett (2013) first showed a Norwegian Rosa rugosa in ultraviolet(1). Here is another example found along coastal New Jersey in the US which also exhibits UV-reflective petals and a UV-dark center.

Reference:

1. Rørslett, B. (2013) Rosa rugosa Thunb. (Rosaceae) Japanese Rose. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...-japanese-rose/

2. New England Wild Flower Society (2015) Rosa rugosa. Beach Rose. https://gobotany.new...es/rosa/rugosa/

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/800" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

May be clicked up to 1200px max in an expanded browser.

rosaRugosa_visSun_20150523sandyHookNpNJ_33659pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/160" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

rosaRugosa_uvBaadSB14_20150523sandyHookNpNJ_33686pf.jpg

Infrared Light [f/8 for 1/500" @ ISO-400 in Sunlight with B+W 092 IR-Pass Filter]

rosaRugosa_093IRSun_20150523sandyHookNpNJ_33670pfpn.jpg

Neat work Andrea, you have done this flower justice.

Could you crank up the contrast a bit more in the IR photo ?

There seems to be lots of hidden details in there ?

Cheers

Col

I'm not sure it does much good to push contrast? IR is inherently soft and we can't bring out detail which isn't there. About all we can do is use the Photo Ninja detail (clarity) slider to increase "local" contrast. I already seem to have already pushed that a bit too far making the preceding photo have a bit of that "clarity overkill" look. (Note the beginning of haloes.) When I pushed overall contrast a bit more in this attached foto, then things begins to blow out.

rosaRugosa_093IRSun_20150523sandyHookNpNJ_33670pfpn2.jpg

I can't decide now which one I like better (except for the halos). :D

Digital IR is almost always soft in terms of contrast, and often also in sharpness. You need massive sharpening and forget the artefacts - they become part of the visual expression :D

I sometimes process the RAW IR file in two conversion programmes, of which PhotoNinja is one and the other might be ASP or ACR, and build a composite of the two files. Can help to combine sharpness (PhotoNinja 'clarity') and colour and/or contrast (other converter).

Andrea you might try this, if you have PS:

In PS try this one:

Layer > New adjustment Layer > Levels

<OK>

Then on the upper right corner of the properties window of the filter click the options button =

and choose Auto Color Correction Options

and click Enhance Per Channel Contrast

<OK>

done