UltravioletPhotography

Liriodendron tulipifera [Tulip Poplar]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2015) Liriodendron tulipifera L. (Magnoliaceae) Tulip Tree. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...a-tulip-poplar/

Synonyms:

• Tulip Poplar
  • Yellow Poplar
  • Liriodendron fastigiatum Dippel
  • Liriodendron procera Salisb.
  • Liriodendron truncatifolium Stokes
  • Tulipifera liriodendron Mill.

Comment:

A very tall, beautiful tree native to the Eastern US, the Tulip Tree produces masses of greenish-yellow tulip like blooms and lots of sticky nectar. The flower tepals have a bright orange chevron at the base. The tree is used for its wood or as a shade-producing ornamental.

Reference:

1. Missouri Botanical Garden (2015) Liriodendron tulipifera LINK

http://www.missourib...kempercode=a878

SET 1

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

24 May 2015

Flowering Tree

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/16 for 1/10" @ ISO-200 with Onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

These flowers and leaves blew off the tree during some gusty winds.

liriodendronTulipifera_visFlash_20150524middletownNJ_33973pf.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/16 for 10" @ ISO-400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Sticky, sweet-tasting nectar has dripped on two of the leaves at the top.

liriodendronTulipifera_uvBaadSB14_20150524middletownNJ_33981pf1.jpg

Infrared Light [f/22 for 1/10" @ ISO-400 with onboard Flash and B+W 092 IR-Pass Filter]

Insects are attracted to the nectar.

liriodendronTulipifera_093IRFlash_20150524middletownNJ_33995.jpg

SET 2

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

26 May 2007

Flowering Tree

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/16 for 1/750" @ ISO-800 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

liriodendronTulipiferaVis052607wf_13625pn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/16 for 1.5" @ ISO-800 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

liriodendronTulipiferaUV052607wf_13620pf2.jpg

Nice! I did some also in NC 3 weeks ago. My friend did not know they had this tree in their yard. I saw flowers and told them the name, and shot one in UV but it was near evening.

I am having trouble with my Nex7 whitebalancing, it seems. This is done by custom WB with a virgin teflon square. My Nex7 always gave me an error saying WB outside range, but it seems many people get this error. The WB reports back about 3900k color temperature.

My tulip poplar looked so different here. but it can also be my filters, I was using QB21 3.5 mm + ZWB1 (1.5mm, I think).

I want to have the nice UV-blue....

http://ww2.beetography.com/var/resizes/UV/Liriodendron-tulipifera.jpg

Perhaps I can suggest how to easily get the blue if I know what converter/editor you are using for your Nex7 ??

Not all cameras will perfectly white balance in-camera. So we finish the job in the converter/editor if a certain "look" is desired.

The shot is quite nice because you have captured some of the veining. I wouldn't worry too much about not having it blue. :(

It looks like the shadow on the left side of the center parts could be easily lifted to reveal a bit of detail.

Andrea,

I used PhotoNinja for this. I need to reread your instructions how to do a profile (forgot where you gave the steps) for a particular camera.

Thanks,

Zach

Perhaps I can suggest how to easily get the blue if I know what converter/editor you are using for your Nex7 ??

Not all cameras will perfectly white balance in-camera. So we finish the job in the converter/editor if a certain "look" is desired.

The shot is quite nice because you have captured some of the veining. I wouldn't worry too much about not having it blue. :)

It looks like the shadow on the left side of the center parts could be easily lifted to reveal a bit of detail.

OK, knowing you use Photo Ninja, I can suggest you try the following 3 edits for the Liriodendron foto.

Color Correction > Drag dropper over non-purple portion of petal > Apply

This step will complete the white balance and move the purple/magenta towards a violet/blue.

Color Enhancement > click on Magenta Patch > Hue Shift > -60

That should shift the colour a bit more towards blue.

Color Enhancement > click on Blue Patch > Saturation > +10 > Apply

This adds a tiny bit more saturation.

Liriodendron-tulipiferapn2.jpg

Thanks, Andrea. Still way less blue than yours. I need to a better white balance too, perhaps.

zach

OK, knowing you use Photo Ninja, I can suggest you try the following 3 edits for the Liriodendron foto.

Color Correction > Drag dropper over non-purple portion of petal > Apply

This step will complete the white balance and move the purple/magenta towards a violet/blue.

Color Enhancement > click on Magenta Patch > Hue Shift > -60

That should shift the colour a bit more towards blue.

Color Enhancement > click on Blue Patch > Saturation > +10 > Apply

This adds a tiny bit more saturation.

post-4-0-13259700-1433598871.jpg

The amount and placement of the false-blue varies amongst the various Tulip Tree flowers I have photographed. If you look at my 2nd foto above, you can see that the left-most flower has little false-blue compared to the other two. Also we don't know how dependent the false-blue is on the age of the Tulip flower. Remember that some flowers have a fading UV signature with age (example: Myosotis).

Then too, there may be some variation in the particular cultivars of Liriodendron tulipifera. We need a much larger sample space to make any conclusions. :)

I think your Tulip flower looks just fine. If you want to make a Liriodendron tulipifera [Tulip Poplar]: Another Example posting with your Tulip, that would be nice.