UltravioletPhotography

My wife

enricosavazzi

enricosavazzi

A candid picture of my wife (and a friend in the background).

Sunlight, multispectral converted Olympus E-PM2, Sigma 19 mm f/2.8, Baader U. This was the only UV equipment I took on a recent vacation to New York, Niagara and Toronto. I tested this lens at http://savazzi.net/p...hy/sigma19.html . The main advantages of this lens are that it is lightweight and cheap, and provides reliable AF, which is useful for quick hand-held street shots. It does not transmit very deep in the UV, but quite enough to display nectar tracks and other UV-A features.

post-60-0-81158300-1430848580.jpg

Even in bright sunlight, getting fast shutter speeds with the Baader-U is a challenge. May I ask which ISO you used? And can you confirm that the camera autofocuses through the filter?
enricosavazzi

Even in bright sunlight, getting fast shutter speeds with the Baader-U is a challenge. May I ask which ISO you used? And can you confirm that the camera autofocuses through the filter?

Yes, the camera autofocuses through the filter. I set the camera to ISO 800 for the whole trip and most often shot at f/3.5 to f/5.6. Exposure times were fairly long, but the camera provides image stabilization by shifting the sensor. Hand-held exposures of 1/6s and longer result in a high rate of blurred images, but 1/15s and faster usually works (except in close-up photography). Flowers and leaves are generally out of the question even in the slightest breeze.

With a converted Panasonic G3 (no image stabilization) and Coastalopt 60 mm Apo (no AF) I have been able to shoot handheld at f/4 to f/5.6 with Baader U and even with Asahi Spectra XRR0340, which is based on a U340 substrate and requires longer exposures. The CoastalOpt of course has a higher UV transmission than the Sigma lens.

Using my Panasonic GH-2 or Nikon D3200, I've done hand-held UV with either Noflexar 35/3.5 or the Coastal APO 60/4. Under the fairly low UV levels here in my part of the world, getting speeds much faster than 1/15 sec or so is difficult unless ISO is increased well above the 800 mark.

It surely is nice to have an AF lens for the occasional shot in UV. Apparently you did very well with the capture of your wife.

Apparently you did very well with the capture of your wife.

... and the photograph is good also ... :D

I have the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and that has almost the same UV characteristics. I use it on a converted Sony NEX-6 (and an unconverted a6000)... I think this ART line is a very decent, cheap line up from Sigma. Is your wife a Filipino? My wife (who's Filipino) has the same UV characteristic and the trademark "pinoy-nose" :D
enricosavazzi

I have the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and that has almost the same UV characteristics. I use it on a converted Sony NEX-6 (and an unconverted a6000)... I think this ART line is a very decent, cheap line up from Sigma. Is your wife a Filipino? My wife (who's Filipino) has the same UV characteristic and the trademark "pinoy-nose" :D

She is actually mixed (Filipina with at least one Chinese ancestor, probably more). On a street, other Filipinos generally ignore her because she does not look like a typical Filipina (much lighter skin, for one thing). Many Chinese people were addressing her in Chinese - which she does not speak - during our latest trip to the US.

Bill De Jager

Nice shot, Enrico!

Hey, I've got one of those lenses, in Sony E-mount, plus a broadband A6000. I had no idea it could be used for UV. Hmmm.... I'll have to see if the camera autofocuses in UV. I'm not sure what to expect.

enricosavazzi
The Sigma 19 mm does not have a high UV transmission, very roughly -3 stops compared to a true UV lens. Nonetheless, it seems to be one of the very few AF lenses usable in UV that we know so far.

She is actually mixed (Filipina with at least one Chinese ancestor, probably more). On a street, other Filipinos generally ignore her because she does not look like a typical Filipina (much lighter skin, for one thing). Many Chinese people were addressing her in Chinese - which she does not speak - during our latest trip to the US.

HAHAHA... that's exactly just like my wife. Her grandmother was half Chinese and half Filipino so she has very light skin as well... She works in a Chinese restaurant now and many of the guests talk to her in Chinese... which she does not speak either.

10517596_10152665982812840_6398779746289159673_n.jpg?oh=5edf3bcfe2be1548c8719f758d24ab99&oe=560BA5E2

Hey, I've got one of those lenses, in Sony E-mount, plus a broadband A6000. I had no idea it could be used for UV. Hmmm.... I'll have to see if the camera autofocuses in UV. I'm not sure what to expect.

Hi Bill, I've a Sony NEX-6 and it is focusing pretty well in UV (and IR) as well... it can use the PDAF as well and it's pretty accurate (my only AF and UV capable lens is the Sigma 30mm f2.8). But if you want to do UV photos with the a6000 then you should look into the enlarging lenses capable of UV. I had very good results with them. If you need help feel free to PM me. I am happy to share my experience with UV on the Sony mirrorless.

Bill De Jager
Thanks for the info, Timber. I got the A6000 and had it converted so I could try various non-SLR lenses for UV photography, and I've been getting together the needed adapters. AF on that camera would be a fun trick, but the relatively low UV transmission of this lens would limit handheld use to reasonably bright conditions.
Andrea B.

Pretty ladies in UV.

It is always enjoyable to see UV portraits.

I've gotten some UV autofocus with my Lumix 14-45 which was the kit lens for the GH1 which I eventually converted to full spec. This thread has reminded me to try it with my new AndreaU. Will do.