UltravioletPhotography

How to Open .csv File as a Graph?

colinbm

I have been given some transmittance charts as .csv files.

I would like to know how to open them as a graph please.

Cheers

Col

Thanks Bjorn

Yes, I have opened the data in Excel, but I have forgotten how to get the data to show as a transmittance chart ?

Here is one file.....oh

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file :D

Cheers

Col

Thanks very much Bjorn.

I now have to learn how to read the OD graph.

I guess it is like the diabatic graph, but upside down?

Col

Thanks Bjorn

I have another ten of these graphs, can you give me some clues how I can turn the data into nice graphs please ?

Cheers

Col

Load the file into a spreadsheet program such as Excel. Select the actual data then use Tools>Data > Text to table and provide Excel with the correct delimiter in the dialogue that follows.

Once the data is numeric, use the standard Graph tools in Excel to make the chart.

There is a Help function in Excel .... use it.

Basically you need to make the data numeric and be read as such. The csv file is text based so the contents are non-numeric, but the readings and wavelengths data points can be read as numbers if the software is so instructed.

Open Excel.

Create a new workbook: File > New Workbook

Import a CSV file: File > Import > CSV File > Import button

A selection window should pop up asking what type file you want to import.

Select CSV file. Click import button.

A window will then pop up for you to select the actual file you want to import.

While importing, you will be asked questions about the delimiters between the data.

Once the data is in the Excel spreadsheet, you can figure out how to turn it into a chart.

I have to review that myself.

Doubleclicking the csv file in a file manager should open it directly in Excel on most systems. Never underestimate the convenience of file associations and shortcuts.

The actual file sent me by Colin had a mixed data layout, hence my advice to select the appropriate data range only and alter it into numeric format. Otherwise poor Excel won't understand much of what to convert I'm afraid.

Once in Excel with the relevant data converted into two columns of numeric data, use the Chart Wizard to help you for the remaining steps. Excel charts are pretty basic, but will show the data behaviour well enough. If you want to present the stuff in a better manner, there are loads of statistical and plotting programs to help make more fancy graphs.