UltravioletPhotography

Panasonic Lumix DMC G3 Camera

colinbm

Oh Col this is a bummer!!! I was so excited for you to have the G3.

Are you sure the cable can't be reconnected somehow by taping the Zif in place?

Does Australia have a Pentax repair anywhere?

enricosavazzi
Unfortunately, these cables and connectors are meant to be connected and disconnected only a couple of times during the lifetime of the electronics. They are easily damaged by handling with metal tweezers, for one thing. However, in my experience they can look pretty scratched up but still work. If the metal traces of the contacts have separated from the plastic base, however, there isn't much to do, and re-gluing them may not work.

Colin that is :-(

I had the same Problem with my old EOS/Rebel 300D

The plastic parts of my old cam have hardenend. They break like glass.

I didn't even try to repair that connector because I don't want to have a cam I can't rely on.

I think the fix is to try to tape it down.

Some DIY fixes say one may need to add a paper or thin plastic shim to hold down tightly on the connection. Many advise not to glue.

Why not try? You have nothing to lose at this point.

So it is the one that connects to the sensor. I had similar problem with my NEX-5n, but I broke the connector on the sensor side, not on the motherboard. Check eBay if they have replacement motherboards.

That is the one Alex.

Yeah, I have my eyes out & about, something will come-up.

Another board, another otherwise broken camera, or another camera, whatever comes first at an affordable price.

Col

What is a replacement board worth?

"What ever the last person paid for one......"

Unfortunately, "Doesn't Ship to Australia".

& I won't have any funds for this amount for another week when I get my next pension payment.

Cheers

Col

Thanks for the reminder Bjorn.

I will have to wait till Wednesday, then I will evaluate my options & see what is feasible.

Col

I have got another G3, & it works with the converted sensor :D

That troublesome zif cable & connector is a real P I T A, & took ages of very careful coaxing to get it into its socket, without any force.

But the camera now works in full spectrum & I can now learn to use it for UV photography.

I am still looking for a replacement main board, whether new or secondhand, or from a damaged camera, doesn't matter.

Anyway I am on my way, just have to get the grey matter to co-operate ;)

Col

enricosavazzi
I think you are going to enjoy this camera. And don't forget it is also good for visible and NIR photography down to about 1,000 nm.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Yes I can see I am going to like the subtle range of colours that the G3 is showing me, that the Sigma's didn't have.

I am still waiting for a 3mm chunk of fused silica & a m4/3 helicoil to arrive.

I can see that the 3mm chunk of fused silica is needed for infinity.

I'll try some UV close-ups first.

Cheers

Col

Good to read that you have a "really" uv-cam now Colin.

Like for me, the Sigma(s) was an easy start for you. But very soon one discovers the limitations of the system.

To me it was like i got the third color on my RGB sensor. Makes me happy that you now have 3 colors too!

And MFT is M42 friendly...

Thanks Steffan

Yes, seeing the difference is believing ;)

Lots of new processes to learn......

I think that the depth of the top, blue diode, in the silicon sensor, was what is limiting the Foveon's performance in UV.

Cheers

Col