UltravioletPhotography

Interesting Daylight Fluorescence Photography System

JCDowdy

I have no affiliation with this company, I just found this interesting fluorescence photography system while doing some reading online. The BlueLine NDT Model FPS-1™ Fluorescence Photography System claims to be able to take fluorescence photographs in full room light or even in sunlight. Anybody ever heard of this technique before?

The system appears to be using some kind of narrow bandpass blocking filter on the lens which must be centered on the fluorescent emission peak. Seems to be based on a point & shoot Canon Powershot from what is shown in one of their videos. I rather like how the the flexible arm flash bracket is set up with that comfy looking foam grip. I can imagine an interchangeable lens mirrorless full spectrum camera perched there nicely.

I assume this is for crack detection in welds and the like, in principle I think you put the fluorescing liquid on the surface and it gets retained in the cracks. But I'm not an engineer.

Dave

Dave,

Yes, that is exactly what it is.

The advantage in imaging is that you know the specific excitation and emission wavelengths. Much like in fluorescence microscopy you can then use narrower bandwidth excitation and emission filters. This allows one to specifically image the dye while avoiding problematic autofluorescence arising from endogenous flurophores in the sample.

This is of course the opposite of UVIVF botanical images such as are posted on this site where the autofluorescence is intentionally stimulated.

I looked at their examples of daylight usage of the system. The green emission colour is so distinctly different from the background grey metallic look in this type of photography, so it is not too surprising that it might show up even in daylight, do you think??

They do note that daylight photographs are improved when a shadow is cast over the area, no surprise there. "-)

Andrea,

I agree, against a background reflecting the same wavelength as the dye emission this probably would not work as well.

I am impressed that this works at all under strong lighting! In shade or darkness it would have to only get better.