UltravioletPhotography

Sun Gun II and UV

Damon

Using a Sun Gun II to capture UV

Thanks to Reed for pointing out this ridiculously bright little light. That bears repeating--ridiculously bright little light. This little light is so bright, you cannot look at whatever it shines upon. How cool!

So I put on some shades and pointed it towards my UVP J221 UV meter and the needle shot over to the right and bottomed out quickly. Thing is, it had the plastic shield on it which is supposed to block all UV, which is does just fine with my Blak-Rays-- Must be loads & loads of IR coming off this light. When I take the plastic off--forget about it! the UV needle clicks over to the right in an instant--so loads of UV as well.

So of course I shine it on my life support sunflower and take a UV picture. I keep forgetting to put my teflon in the pic so it may be WB not as per accepted guideline. Anyway, I was just curious if it would show the pattern. The white "spot" is the glass vase the flower is in.

Warning: more than a 2 second exposure 1 foot away and your flower will start to droop/cook/die...

I will try a faster shutter speed next time.

John, I wish I had your instruments in my shack.

Check it out: :o :D

UV: Canon 1D Mark IV Unmodified, EL-Nikkor 80mm f5.6, 1 Sun Gun II Unfiltered, Incandescent light Unfiltered, 4 s @ f/5.6 ISO 1250, Baader U filter, WB color temp 2500K, 1 Click Photo Ninja

post-51-0-05200000-1424915597.jpg

-D

Update:

When shining this light--

Putting a baader UV/IR cut filter (newer version) on top of my UV meter, with the plastic cover on the meter as well as off--the needle doesn't move unless I get within 6", the it begins to move a little.

Whatever the bulb is in this thing--it produces more heat than a bunch of Texans after a chili cook off. If there are any Texans reading this--you're awesome!

I just read Reeds post again--it is a quartz iodine lamp (halogen basically I guess) It doesn't look like any Halogen I have ever seen though. One has to see this thing to believe it! Wow! That you tube video doesn't do it justice. If your gas runs out and you need to cook breakfast--grab your Sun gun II--order now and get 1 free set of oven gloves and dark sunglasses.

I suspect this is NUV

-D

You might just like to know that here in the land of sun and surf we have banned sun-tanning solariums as too big a risk of skin cancer - so beware.

Dave