UltravioletPhotography

Canon 30D Unmodified for UV-look elsewhere (but look here first:)

Damon

So I took my trusty 30D and hooked it up to the exact same UV/IR setup that I have been using for my Unmodified Canon 1D Mark IV to see if it was perhaps using the same filters on the sensor etc.

Infrared--yes it can capture that and not bad actually as I suspect many can do.

But UV--you will do better spending your time watching paint dry or your Aunt Mabel put her curlers in.

Wow that is some serious UV filtration.

I will post the pics and info. asap cause I left the cam out in my shack and it is 8 degrees F again and well, I'm warm right now.

So this is the first other unmodified Canon I tried in all seriousness for UV/IR and I now know why Canon has in the past been dismissed squarely and correctly as nigh impossible to use unmodified for UV.

I have 3 more Canons to try and will let you know. A 20d, Rebel XTI, & 5D mark II.

It is very interesting to see that the Canon 1D mark IV, which was Canon's High Dollar/chunk of change/10fps top dog professional camera a few years ago, apparently has a sensor that is weaker in blocking UV and perhaps IR than the Canon 30D (and many others?). Unless my Mark IV is an aberration to the norm. If it works in sunlight--a true diamond in the rough ( I am praying for that :).

I suspect my next 3 Canons will share the same fate as the 30D. And maybe every other Canon--who knows--we need your help!

I am mainly asking because I believe there is little downside to increasing the knowledge base of this fine and rare site. If you need help with the setup for a Canon DSLR ask and I/we will try and help. I will post my entire current setup if anyone deems that is valuable.

-Damon

After you test your various Canoni, I will summarize the results in the Sticky. "-)

It is quite interesting about that pro body 1D Mark IV being able to record some UV. It does seem anomalous.