UltravioletPhotography

Another IR forum bites the dust

Shane

It seems like Infrared Photography was all the rage for along time. Now it seems to be less popular. Almost no one posts IR in Nikongear/Fotozones anymore. I wonder if LifePixel and other converters are feeling a pinch.

Also I wonder if most folks just use Flickr as their all purpose forum these days???

I don't think IR is any less popular, I know of several people locally that have just converted to IR and others that are thinking about it. Community and expertise seem to hold these forums together.

The forerunner of infrared-photography was strong but the owners got so busy that no one was policing the spam and eventually they shut it down (almost a lack of interest). Infrared-photography sprung up from the ashes accumulating some of the former members but it really never got going. Nikongear had community and expertise and seemed to be going strong but suffered a fracture in the community followed by an uncertain future. Nikoncafe UVIR (come and gone several times) picked up a few Nikongear members but not really enough to self sustain and so it fizzles along. Nikonians UVIR consists of some former Nikongear/Nikoncafe members but is a very small community with little growth.

Flickr does seem to have several groups but none of them really seem to be strong except Digital Infrared (since 2005). However, it still doesn't seem to have that community strength that Nikongear UVIR used to have, or the current forum has.

Many UV photographers enjoy working with IR as well, probably more so than IR photographers dive into UV. Thus I (and Andrea) have no objections to supporting IR on our web site. For now we have a general and informal IR forum, but this can easily be expanded later if the need arises.

Already we encounter some interest in IR fluorescence and multispectral imaging also springs to mind.

I "own" InfraredFotography.com so if we ever want to start a dedicated IR site we could use that name. I'm not sure I have time to handle two websites though.

Nikongear had community and expertise and seemed to be going strong but suffered a fracture in the community followed by an uncertain future.

That happened in UV. The IR folks were not involved. I don't know why they don't post much over there anymore in IR. I made sure they had their own IR board so they would not be bored with the UV tech talk which seemed to dominate and for which we got complaints.