UltravioletPhotography

Seen on Ebay [Thread includes some lens tests.]

Andrea B.

Going for 19 euros? I'll bet it will go higher before the end. That looks like the version with a proper filter thread (but I may be mistaken there.)
I have had several 50mm Cassar and Cassar-S, as well as 40mm Cassaron, and still have some. They all are very prone to getting scratches on front and rear element.
I put in a bid. :-) I don't have very many lenses yet. Does anyone know of a very fast uncoated lens? I'm looking for my SWIR experiments. At the moment signal-to-noise ratio is awful, with almost 0 contrast, so I'm trying to improve the "signal" part.

You don't really need a lot of lenses.

But you might want to start slowly saving up for a CO60? If after a couple of years of saving you find your interest has waned, you can instead take a nice vacation to Hawaii instead of buying the lens. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heh, well, let's say I would like some GOOD lenses. What I have are two crappy lenses and the Novoflex Noflexar, which is my favorite. I realize different people like different attributes in lenses, but I really dislike soft images.

You'll get there!!

I have been meaning to try to determine how much "softening" (apparent or real) might occur because of lack of chromatic aberration corrections. I ran a couple of aluminum foil tests and definitely could see color fringes with one of the UV-capable lenses compared to the UV-Nikkor. But I never found time to run the shots through a good edit. Guess I'd better go add this to the Experiment List which I have around here somewher.e

Andy,

What is the camera you are using for your lenses? IOW, are the mount and flange-film distance restrictive in terms of lenses?

Thanks.

I'm using a Sony NEX-7, which is mirrorless so I don't think there is much restriction. So far I have found adaptors for nearly every kind of mount.

I wasn't worried about the mirror so much as the ability to focus to infinity.

Andy, you might find lenses made in Germany pre-1971 to be both inexpensive and high quality. However, you want 1/ speed, 2/ sharp images, and 3/ low cost. The old adage applies, you can usually get only two out of three. :)

For example, cine lenses will give speed and low cost; but they will probably cause vignetting due to the small 16mm film size.

OTOH, if you look at something like #291961006392 on ebay. It is a Rollei Schneider 50mm f1.8 SL-Xenon for Rolleiflex SL35. Schneider-Kreuznach made many fine lenses. The Xenon is a 6 element/four group design that is said to be sharp -- http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_3113.html With only four groups it should be decent in the UV. It also, IIRC, predates multi-coating on Rollei.

I have some duplicates in longer lenses by Piesker, but they are triplets, so not as sharp as you want. Send me a message if you think of a piece of German glass you want, and if I have one, it is yours for a small sum. I am feeling very guilty about lens clutter. :unsure:

Thanks, Reed, I'll keep that in mind! I need to decide on what I want first, and what I want to shoot also, which directly impacts the former. :-)
  • 1 year later...
IMHO, that UV-Sonnar is vastly overpriced. But hey what do I know?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: