UltravioletPhotography

Small useful light box, the Foldio

Andrea B.

I tried out the Foldio portable plastic light box for shooting little flowers. It works as advertised. The led light is slightly uneven. There is a bit of gap in the corners which should be covered for certain uses. The inner size is about 10"x10", but you have slightly less shooting room because you don't want to include the folds in the final shot.

LINK: http://photojojo.com...ortable-studio/

Granted, it would not be so difficult to construct a DIY light box. But I did like that the Foldio came with 3 different background panels and that the Foldio is quite portable. It is likely not a good choice for field use however.

BEFORE: Photo made in Foldio before cleanup of background. The small flower vase sits inside the Foldio. The background shows all the D600 splatter and dust threads.

(Side Note: It is time for a new broadband as I am quite tired of dealing with that mess.)

limoniumSpVisFlash_20150207wf_29341pnOrigBkgrnd.jpg

AFTER: Photo after cleanup of background with a white Colorize in NX2. The advantage of the Foldio's white or grey or black background panels is that the plain area in the photo is quite easily selected (for certain subjects) and replaced in an editor . I also edited the blue band on the little vase to purple. "-) In NX2 such selection/replacements are easily handled with color points. It is a little more time consuming in PS to do this.

limoniumSpVisFlash_20150207wf_29341pn.jpg

BEFORE: The Gerbera was in a vase sitting in front of the Foldio which was on a stack of books to provide a background for the flower head.

gerberaSpVisTorch_20150207wf_29498pn2.jpg

AFTER: A crop and background replacement was performed in NX2. Although I was just experimenting and had not properly illuminated the Gerbera, you can still see the utility of the Foldio.

gerberaSpVisTorch_20150207wf_29498pnCrop.jpg

As a botanical note: I'm guessing that this particular Gerbera (above) has a case of the "aster yellows" disease which can cause the disc flowers to produce leaves.