UltravioletPhotography

Sigma Foveon Really Does the Funk.

colinbm

Wow, Sigma Foveon really does the funk B)

I went out into the yard today & picked a couple of flowers to expose to some UV light in my studio, as I now have two, MTE U301 365nm LED lights.

I started on the Allamanda Flower, which I have exposed to varying UV doses before, but this time was the first with UVIVF.

Well isn't this something to behold.........

post-31-0-70585400-1421931280.jpg

Lighting is one, MTE U301 365nm LED flashlight, with a U340 filter to keep the lighting under 400nm.

Taken with a Sigma DP2 ASP-C compact camera, with the original IRC & a GG420 filter to keep the camera's response above 420nm. Settings were: ISO 100, f5 at 8 seconds.

Cheers

Col

Wow !! This is indeed very cool.

Col, would you please comment on how close the photo colours came to matching the colours you were seeing?

Also, were you photographing in the darkness?

Thanks. B)

(That's not a critique of methodology. Rather, we need to record all experimental details so that such an experiment can be fully understood and possibly repeated by others, if desired.)

Thanks Andrea

It is brighter then what I saw, but the colours were there. I was surprised when I saw the RAW image, so I went back & checked.

Yes it was taken in a darkened room, lit with the MET 365nm LED with a U340nm filter to be sure.

I'll do a multi-spectral triptych next.

Col

• 2 weeks later...

If you didn't put the n & the m so close together on the keyboard.......... :)

You could use the Baader U on this lamp, it is pretty well close to UV at 365nm only, no IR. But avoid getting the coated surface of the Baader U in contact with the end of the flash-light.

I do use a U340 filter for UVIVF photography, to keep the light below 400nm. The cover glass is 36mm diameter.

You can buy a 40.5mm U340 filter from http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hoya-U-340-40-5mm-x-2mm-UV-Pass-Filter-Ultraviolet-Dual-Band-IR-for-El-Nikkor-/291207045396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cd4ae114

but you will need to carefully grind the diameter down to 36mm.

Col

• 2 weeks later...

Do you suspect I would need that filter since the LED is pretty close to 365?

Were you able to measure the light wavelength?

Re:to keep below 400

Does that mean you suspect it goes beyond 400 or are you just eliminating variables?

Thanks so much,

-D

Hi Damon

The MTE U301 365nm LED lamp is a quality product & is on band with its wavelength.

http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/products/led/NCSU033B-E.pdf see page 11.

Because this LED is very bright, the minute visible spill into blue is bright white to the eye. I like to eliminate this from the digital sensor & therefore the final image, especially in UVIVF photography.

The eBay seller 'uviroptics', will be selling a replacement for the clear glass reflector cover with UG11 or U340 filter glass.

At the moment I have an adapter that can hold the 52mm filters in front of the lamp. I have five of these MTE UV lamps that I will filter.

Cheers

Col