UltravioletPhotography

Nikon 35 mm f/2.5 SE lens for IR

nfoto

The Nikon SE range were a series of 'economic' or 'entrance' lenses launched in the early '80s, targeted for the Nikon EM and FG camera lines. They had simpler optics and coatings than the regular Nikkors of the period, and were offered at a substantially lower price point.

Many the UV shooters might have tried some of these lenses as their optical designs are quite UV friendly. Never heard much of their use for IR photography, though. The 50 mm f/1.8 SE and the 100 mm f/2.8 SE are pretty good for IR actually, and apparently the 35 mm f/2.5 SE with which I have dabbled on my IR-modified Nikon D5300 the last days, also belongs here. There is no hot spot and virtually no focus shift for IR as well.

A few random examples, all from a icy cold winterly Denmark with plenty of wind and rain, but unlike Norway, no snow.

IR_35SE_DSC_1109_v1BR.jpg

IR__DSC1137_v1BRsmal2l.jpg

Damon: No idea - car might actually be parked? Headlights are mandatory on in all Nordic countries at all times.

Erik Lund and I were shooting bronze-age burial mounds of which there are many in the Køge area, and they often harbour beautiful ancients oak trees.

Oh, you mean the diffraction pattern? Personally I think these are very desirable. Not all lenses will render these 'star bursts' so well defined at intermediate apertures.